Project management software?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by babygodzilla, Jul 3, 2008.

1. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

what do you guys use to manage your projects. I'm looking for something where I can list my projects and enter daily notes. That is, when I open it i should have a space where i can enter today's to-do and have-done, checkmarks, etc, and also what i have done the previous days. kinda like a blog i guess, so i can keep track of my progress.

on Windows! thanks!

2. michelin man

michelin man IDB Construction

sharepoint

or

MS project

?

3. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

we use PVCS at work
    just MS project for personal shit

4. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

PVCS? what's that? any free ones that you'd recommend?

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Trac. Trac. And more Trac.

http://trac.edgewall.org/

My FAVORITE THING in the world, probably my favorite feature of svn/Trac is this:

pre-commit hook REQUIRES any code commits to reference a ticket number
    post-commit hooks adds your commit to the Trac ticket, with a link to svn

Then you make a ticket for each feature, milestonize it, prioritize and assign it, etc. Hook to Mylyn for time estimates, etc. Then new tickets for bugs, etc.

Its the best way to manage a software project. You can even extend it to incorporate support, sales and marketing with plugins that will be part of the main source in the next big release.

Your docs go in Trac's wiki. Your code goes in svn, which is browsable through Trac. And any code changes are pegged to tickets, so you can see who the fuck is doing what.

At my last gig we took it one step further and I integrated Trac with wordpress. That way engineers could discuss more open-ended or theoretical questions in company blogs, and it would auto link #1234 to the ticket, and anything that said wiki: to the wiki page in Trac.

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Use Trac. And fuck windows. Business software worth a shit runs on the web now, OS doesn't matter.

Step 1) Create project. Create svn repo. Edit the wiki and create a spec of your project. This can be as detailed or rough as you want, but put at least a summary.

Step 2) Ticket the features as you think of them. I can't tell you how helpful it is to have trac.mywebsite.com available whenever you think of a feature. You just create a new ticket and assign it to yoursef, or whoever.

Step 3) Prioritize and milestonize your tickets so you do things in a sane order.

Step 4) Commit code as you write it, referencing your tickets. Wallah, with the trac post-commit hook your commits are shown in your trac ticket for that feature and now you can trace the development of the feature. This is REALLY handy when working with others. It helps you debug, because you grasp the mind of the developer as he was working. This helps ME understand ME when I forget wtf I was doing.

Step 5) Repeat.

Step 6) SUCCESS

Here's a lists of places that will setup svn/trac for you and host it, if you're not up to it.

http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/CommercialServices

7. bilmind

bilmind Licka' Licka' High

Thanks Peyomp, may have to take a look at that software for some on-going projects at the office...