project car

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by 4W4K3, Mar 1, 2006.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I want to get a relatively cheap import to work on and gain experience with. I dream of one day being a car mechanic and want to start out with a project like this.
    Most people suggest a domestic car, but honestly i can't find a domestic i'd willingly pay money for, and i'm trying to stay away from a huge V8 that i might kill myself in.

Looking for a relatively small 4-cyl most likely, something that a "beginner" could do with some assistance. An "easy" car i suppose, with lots of options and available parts. I've been told a Civic is what i'm looking for since they are cheap, easy to work on, and won't break the bank. Reliability is important, because i don't want to be replacing things left and right just to keep it driveable.

also im not looking to build some badass ricer, no 600whp or $20K worth of upgrades. I wnt to start basic, and just have a "decent" car that is fun to drive and has a little more "pep" than normal.

discuss.

cliffs: suggest to me the best project car that is easy to work on and won't break the bank.

2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

BUMP!

I got some kid trying to tell me an RX-7 can be had for $5K with a fully re-bult engine and other performance mods! where the fuck is this shit?

his main argument is a rotary engine is just as reliable as a civic, and the RX-7 is WAY better because............it looks cool and civic's look gay? i hate fucking bandwagoners.

3. Eclipsed830

Eclipsed830 Active Member

A rotary engine just as reliable as a Civic? Turbo rotarys are known to be extremely unreliable, more unreliable then DSMs either. If you are considering a rotary, consider a DSM. Cheap to build, easy to work on, and you gain shitloads of power for little money. They do break alot, however if you find a virgin DSM that has had an older owner who hasnt beat the piss out of it, you will be golden.

4. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

Cheap - Reliable - Fast.

Pick 2.

5. 2500

2500 Guest

haha, once you buy a rotary, you'll never want one again. so, i would not let the 7 be your learning car. cuz you'll learn the stupid rotary, but then hate it when it blows up, and you'll hafta learn about normal engines then. i'd suggest a civic or a DSM. those are older, cheap, make alot of parts for them, good to learn on, and have the potential in the end to be really fast. plus alot of their parts are interchangable with sister cars, so parts are really easy to find.

6. dew

dew Banned

4g63 for the win

7. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

8. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

"relatively fast" is more like it, i'm not interested in straight line speed or 1/4 mile times as much as handling and "overall" performance. I've seen many a 12s Civic, not incredibly fast, but faster than anything i'v ever personally driven.

I'll look into everything suggested, but gotta get to school now :squint:

9. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

uh yea. getting a 17/18 second car to do 12s is relatively cheap.

edit: oh god, i just realized i'mtalking to a high schooler. fucking out.

10. dew

dew Banned

anything pre 99-00 vw 2.0 with an aba engine you can boost the hell out of it

11. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I said my budget was ~$20K. I would hope a mid 90's Civic or similiar car with $20K in performance upgrades (no body/exterior) could at least pull anywhere in the 12 range. Reading > you

What do you guys think of Subaru's, more specifically a 98' Impreza. Seen one go for $4K, looked like it had never been driven :eek3:

VW, Honda, Subaru, and Toyota are on my list to look into...

12. dew

dew Banned

you can get an old impreza and find an ej25t and rebuild it and do a swap

or

go with a cheaper late 90's vw and boost the hell out of it:coolugh:

13. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

For a beginner I think boosting would be easier than rebuild/swap, don't you think? I don't want to take on a project that is going to be over my head...although I hope to find at least a few people in my area who can help me along.

Any particular VW? I had my eyes on golf and jetta simply because i don't know about much anything else. :dunno:

14. dew

dew Banned

id just stick with either a golf or a jetta, me personally id get a golf lol but your going to want to go with an Mk3 golf then you have the choice of engine 1.8t, 2.0, or vr6 and which ever you find the cheapest is perfect because you can boost all 3 (or upgrade the 1.8t lol) which ever engine you end up getting i can help you get a turbo or s/c kit for it i know of a few great kits that will produce a nice amount of HP.. also if you arent a member of www.vwvortex.com i would suggest that you do so lol :bigthumb:

15. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

kewl, seems like i have alot of options going with a VW. will register at vwvortex.com and poke around to learn :naughty:

thanks for helping me :bigthumb:

16. dew

dew Banned

no problem if you need anything just send me a pm :big grin:

17. Gen5_EG

Gen5_EG :)

I would go with a 240SX

[​IMG]

18. Eclipsed830

Eclipsed830 Active Member

Fuckin werd.

19. crackheadmel

crackheadmel New Member

rx7 (my choice.. im biased though)

dsm
    older mbw
    starion (sp?)
    please not a civic

there are many

20. Coozone

Coozone Dat my city

and you wont kill yourself in a rx-7?

21. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Probably less likely, has less power stock so it'd be easier for a novice like me to handle. But that wasn't why i ruled it out...

the rotary would be a PITA to maintain for someone who is a beginner like me, and they aren't cheap to service from what I've heard. Both making it an unpractical car for me. I'm not saying it's a bad car...just for my experience and budget it would be foolish.

22. red97gst

red97gst New Member

c'mon son

SR20DE gets it DONE

91-94 Nissan Sentra SE-R
    91+ Nissan NX2000
    95-98 Nissan 200SX SE-R
    98 Sentra SE if you want a 4door

23. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I don't mind 2 door, only people ever in my car are me or my GF. I don't give out free rides, for my own reasons (i know im distracted easily) unless absolutely necessary.

200/240 SX has been mentioned alot, and they seem more attainable than a VW as well. I want to drive a VW though and see what it's like before I decide though. I know what to expect from a 90-99' Nissan since I have one...never driven in a VW at all.

24. red97gst

red97gst New Member

VWs are neat.....very diff feeling than the japanese 4 cylinders....

just get the right model, or a gutted joint, or you'll be fixing your power windows every month

anyway, of the nissans, the best bang for the buck wuld be the 91-94 SE-R, as it has independent rear suspension, high-port SR20DE (dont get a 94) and can be had cheap. very low key also, wont get stolen like a honda would

Intake, header, cams, and underdrive pullies puts you in the low to mid 14's

25. atomic punk

atomic punk pretty hate machine

the sr20de is a piece of shit.