Progress!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Mar 30, 2006.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Update on the Advanced Process Scheduler I posted on Supernaut's site a couple of weeks ago:

- The app now has checkboxes to control Always On Top, Run On Startup, and Access System Processes.

- The app now has a background service that executes the changes made to System processes, since the app itself can't do that without being invisible and impossible to interact with.

- The script parser I built has a (slightly) expanded function set, and I imagine I'll come up with a few more things for it to do before I release the new version.

- I don't have plans to include a hard-coded CPU% limiter, partly because it's impossible to completely control CPU% usage for a process and partly because the script parser will be able to handle the job soon.

- The documentation still needs revising, but I rather get the impression that most people didn't read it anyway. Too bad! I'm going to revise it anyway! (evil laugh)

I'll post the new version someday soon.

2. Grelmar

Grelmar New Member

Is there going to be a home page for this, or just the file for download?

I'm just asking, because it would be a lot easier to give it a "Digg" if there was a quick one webpage explanation of the program.

Glad to see you're so dedicated to this project. I still think it's a killer ap

3. deusexaethera

I'm seeing about getting a website, but I also need to see about having more than one thing to put on it. Point taken, though.

I'm this dedicated to all of my projects. Back in the mid 90's, I developed an Outlook calendar/to-do-list program for my father to use at his office, because Outlook didn't exist back then (if memory serves). Went through five versions before his office switched to MS Office. I don't remember if I got paid for it, but he kept feeding me so that's something.

I have a GIMP-like photo effects suite that I've been working on for years, as well. It's slow as shit, but its useful for a good bit of the photo editing I do. The auto-light-temperature correction tool and the smart image enlarger are the gems right now.

4. Grelmar

Grelmar New Member

Why do you need more than one thing to put on it? Most indy program websites I can think of are dedicated to one piece of software.

5. deusexaethera

I dunno, because I want to. I suppose I could post my auto-defragger too, but that's just a self-extracting ZIP file with some batch files inside. Works well, though.

6. Grelmar

Grelmar New Member

If it's cost, hosting has gotten cheap. You can get a good hosting package, with MySQL backend, PHP & CGI enabled, tons of bandwidth, for around $100/year. Domain name included.

If it's the technical issues of web-page building that has you worried, there are tons of open source content management systems out there. Just upload and add content.

Not harassing you, just pointing out the ease of doing things on the web nowadays. It ain't rocket science.

7. deusexaethera

What purpose does the backend database serve? Does it store the website, or just whatever data I design the website to accept from users?

8. Grelmar

Grelmar New Member

Database driven sites just allow you do use dynamic languages like PHP and CGI/Perl, so you can have guestbooks, BBSes, etc.

Also, Content Management Systems like phpWebSite, phpNuke(ick - really, I mean ick, Nuke is a security nightmare), WordPress, or anything else that generates pages dynamicly require a database backend.

Big advantage to using a CMS:
    You don't have to code when you want to add/change content. You just go into an editor panel you can access from anywhere with a net connection and type away like your using a Word Processor.

A lot of hosting companies will even set the CMS up for you. You just have to login afterwards, and start typing out your content.

9. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

use sf.net

10. deusexaethera

I've written pages for Oracle Portal before, so I'm familiar with what a CMS does. I just wasn't sure if [MySQL + some kind of UI] could provide the same functionality.

(returns to debugging the APS Background Service)

You know, as much as I like having added a script parser to my app, it's biting me in the ass as far as getting it to process 'dirty' syntax without crashing the whole app. I'm starting to understand just how big a deal it is to have a language as powerful as Java, that can run on any OS, and be stable enough to be useful.