Progress Problems

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by toyo96, Nov 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toyo96

toyo96 New Member

So I've been on a slightly modified WS4SKB (westside for skinny bastards) since september, and although I am slowly increasing my weights, I don't feel I'm getting much stronger or bigger (I've gained about 4 or 5lbs at the most since september). This is what my routine looks like:

Mondays:

Bench (actually just started this two weeks ago): Working to max rep of 3
    Flat Bench Dumbbell press: 4x6-10
    Rows 4x10
    Bent over flys: 3x10
    Incline Press (just started this this week, used to do lat pull downs): 3x6-10

Tues: Off (cardio)

Wednesday: Leg press (in place of deadlift, I simply can't do these due to bad knees) Work to max rep of 5

Dumbell lunges: 4 x 8
    Leg extensions 3x10
    Leg Curls: 4x6
    Calf Raises 3x10
    Abs

Thursday: Incline dumbell press-3x10
    Skull crushers: 4x6-10
    Lat Pull Down (behind back) 4x6-10
    Standing Flys 3x10
    Barbell curls 3x6-10

Friday: Cardio

Weekend:Off

Since september I've gone from 159 to 163.5lbs and sometimes I'm down a little, so I have no clue what I'm doing wrong. I just started bench two weeks ago and have only been able to muster 3 reps of 170lbs. I can't deadlift or squat because of my knees (cross country in high school). I eat a lot, and mostly lean, and I drink two protein shakes a day, so I'm not really sure where I'm going wrong here. ~4lbs in almost 3months is not good at all. Should I be modifying the routine some? I like lifting free weights mostly and doing compound excercises, so maybe this specific routine isn't the best for me at 5'11" 163lbs. I'm pretty well defined, but not very big, but I would rather work on getting strong first and foremost, and looks second. How much weight should I be looking at for my increases? Here's a little breakdown of where I started and where I am now weight wise on some of my excercises:

Flat Dumbell press (started at 35lbs dumbells, now at 45lbs and this is basically too easy, so will be going to 50lb dumbells next week)
    Bench (started at 135, worked to 145, then to 155, then to 170 (but I strain on 170 a lot)
    Lunges: Started with 35lb dumbells, now using 45lbs)
    Incline dumbell press: started with 35lbs, now at 40lb dumbells
    Rows (cable rows): started at 90lbs, now at 115lbs
    Lat pull downs: started at 90lbs, now at 115lbs

I'm ok with people making fun of my size and progress, but I would also like some input on what I could be doing wrong or need to change (maybe eat even more?):)

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

size gains (weight loss/weight gain) are made in the kitchen. you might think you are eating a lot, but you aren't. hop on some software to keep track of your cals.

And quit making excuses about not squatting or deadlifting. a) a proper deadlift is a back workout, not legs. Squats when done with proper form are fine on the knees - if its a real big worry you can box squat and sit way back, it helps take pressure of the knees. If you can leg press, you can squat. unless it is some sort of back injury or something (like HighwayReaper) you can squat and pull.

3. Abomb

Abomb New Member

just from glancing at it and being the newb I am, one of two things comes to my mind

the first one being, maybe you need to eat more to gain more progress.

the second one being, maybe you need to step your intensity up some and push yourself harder.

after reading your post, I think you are not eating enough.

oh btw my lil brother was working out with his friend for 4 months and they never squatted or dead lifted and he really didnt get very much stronger at all.

Now that my friend and I have my brother squatting and dead lifting hes moving up in all of his lifts. :dunno:

it sucks that you cant squat or deadlift. Id kill myself if I couldnt.

4. toyo96

toyo96 New Member

Fair enough, I'll read up some more on the proper form and give it a try.

5. Abomb

Abomb New Member

hell, I box squat on all of my squats just to make sure I hit parrallel, I see too many people at the gym normal squatting and not getting close to parrallel

6. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Pay attention to the first sentence of his post. You're not gonna put on a lot of weight if you don't eat enough.

7. hootpie

hootpie New Member

When I first started lifting, I did a 3x8 and sometimes 4x8 set/rep scheme. During those 6 months, I ate the same as I do now, but I didn't gain much in terms of size. My strength went up dramatically, but it was mostly newb gains.

When I switched to a 5x5 routine, my strength went through the roof, but I didn't get much bigger.

I recently switched to a rep/set scheme like this:

15 reps
    10-12 reps
    8-10 reps
    6 reps

My diet is essentially the same, but I've added more mass in 3 months than I did in the first 6. Strength on the other hand has been slow, but fairly steady.

In my experience, the 3x8 scheme isn't a very good one...I think it's kind of inbetween a bodybuilder scheme for adding mass and a PL scheme for gaining strength. You'd think that would be a good compromise, but I don't think so because you gain size and strength slowly. I think you'd be better off going for strength and mass separately, switching between the two whenever you hit a sticking point.

The best thing to do is experiment and see what works best for you.

8. hootpie

hootpie New Member

Yes and it is working quite well. If you're a big fan of strength gains like me, you'll hate how slow you get stronger.

9. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

Also gaining about a pound a month isnt that bad as long as its mostly muscle. You may take longer to gain the weight, but cutting will be a much shorter and easier process.

10. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Uhhhh you've gotten stronger by like 20+ lbs in every lift, and your body can't really (naturally) build more than 2 lbs of muscle a month. None of this is a fast process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.