Programming question (aim related)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by D1G1T4L, Aug 3, 2003.

1. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

you know how you can write a bot that connects to aim servers through some screen name and make him reply to users etc.... my friend's bot joins chat rooms and you can play trivia with him

well i was wondering how can you use aim and use the same features (or if you write your own bot for example) through same screen name, do you have to load the program as some sort of plug in or what? just wondering

2. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I was never into trying to get my aim bot to do trivia, but thats a pretty cool use for one...

Mine runs on my Linux box via Perl. So to start it I just run a Perl script and walk away.

It depends on what tool you are using to create and run the bot and that will determine how you run it. Perl has several AIM bot libraries to pick from (that and Perl has some most excellent string handling).

3. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Perl, now that is one language I really need to learn. One of the professors I work for was writing perl scripts to backup our databases. He uses it for everything on our *nix servers.

4. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Oh, I should also mention the bot will need to have its own screen name, unless you figured out how to be logged in with the same screen name from two different places.

5. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

but thats the point i am trying to make, is there a way for a program to communicate through aim?

6. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Not that I know of. Sounds like you'd have to create your own bot AND chat client - all rolled into one.

7. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

but how about all those visual basic programs that people write to use with aol using same screen name? u just sign on, on AOL and use those programs to send multiple messages etc

8. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Have VB access the submit button of your aim window. Thats the only way I can think of it being done (which isn't the same as writing a full fledged chat app in my opinion).