Programming Gurus.. A few questions.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Williamea, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Williamea

Williamea Polk High #33

I know absolutely nothing about programming but would like to. I couldn't tell you the difference between Java/XML/C/PHP or any of the others. :o
    I am basically looking for a good place to start and get a good understanding before I tackle anything specific. I have access to decent library of books and other training material thru my job but not sure what to look at first.

2. samm

samm Next in Line

What are you trying to do? Java/XML/C/PHP is a very broad range of programming languages.

3. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I think you should start off with C then move onto C++. :o Once you get the basics of C down, you can code PHP since it is a derivative of C. When you're comfortable with C, move onto C++ and learn some object oriented basics. Classes, objects, polymorphism, inheritence, etc. Once you get that down, you can easily transition over to Java, then you can start applying your OOP methods to PHP. XML is a joke. It's easy. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

4. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

kingtoad hit the nail on the head

5. Williamea

Williamea Polk High #33

Thanks for the info. Any resources that you would recommend?
    I have been browsing a few forums and everyone seems to like the OReilly books.

6. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

O'Reilly makes pretty straight forward books. Wrox publications is pretty good too I hear. :dunno: Just go to amazon.com or any other store you prefer and read the reviews and ratings of the books.