programmers... what kind of questions have you been asked on interviews?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by D1G1T4L, Jun 22, 2007.

1. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

In terms of coding something or problem solving....... I got an interview on monday where they will ask me to code something or solve some problems..... I wanted to know how can I prepare for it

2. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

what type of company is it?

3. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I generally like to see how deep their knowledge is when I interview someone. The guys that work for me are just *into* this line of work. For us, it's not a 9-5 kind of job and that's what I like to see in a potential employee. I want someone who spends their free time learning new things and keeping themselves up to date. At the same time, having a solid understanding of the theory shows me that a candidate is more than just some programmer. Take data structures for example; it's not exactly a requirement to understand how they work behind the scenes in order to use what's supplied in your framework of choice. But, having that knowledge shows you care a little more and are probably better than your average developer. Those are the kinds of things I look for.

4. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

they make web applications in java

5. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

who do you work as now? I thought you used to be a programmer?

6. mrj

mrj New Member

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

C questions I've been asked:

How would you multiply a number by 7 without using the * or + operators?
    How would you check whether a number is a power of 2 without using any sort of looping structure?

8. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

only programming questions i've gotten are

write a recursive loop to find factorials
    something about exception handling

it was a job that was completely unrelated to coding.

9. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I was asked to reverse a string in any prog. language I wanted to use?
    I was also asked to show an SQL stmt where I join at least 2 tables and use a where clause?

I was also asked what's the class that every other class inherits in Java?
    In Java why when would you use a vector instead of an ArrayList?
    What is the parent class for both vector and ArrayList?

That's all I can think of and they're pretty easy but I'm applying for entry level positions.

10. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

God... I took Java 2 years ago and I'm having trouble with some of those... That's bad :(

Since i was gettin gan IT job, i was asked more on structures like Stacks and Queues and how they work... what's the difference, and when would you use one or the other?

It's really nothing you can prepare yourself for. It's either you know it or you don't. You can't prepare yourself for the problems you'll find in the field, you just have to be able to think on your feet and find the answer, I'm sure that's what they are looking for. I would assume that's what they want.

11. Coottie

In regards to the java questions the answers are:
    1. Object
    2. ArrayList is serializable so it's thread safe whereas vector is not
    3. They both inherit the List class

In one application the company had me take a C/C++ online test given by ProveIt.com. It sucked because I didn't do very well on the test at all. We weren't allowed to use any reference materials and the questions were fairly challenging and some were down right BS.

One BS question was: What function is not contained in the math.h library. I think the choices were: a) sin b) cos c) tan d)arctan e) none of the above. My problem with this type of question is that memorizing these libraries doesn't necessarily make me a better programmer but this was a multiple choice test with no ability to provide feedback. I didn't get the job. :(

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I interviewed with Booz Allen Hamilton a couple of years ago. The guy gave me a task to create a linked list, iterate through it and populate it, then calculate the sum of all its values. He gave me twenty minutes.

When he came back, I had two functions written out and waiting for him. When he looked at it, he asked me what language it was written in; when I told him it was written in VB6, he looked at me like I had three heads. After he regained his composure, he said "that's not one of the languages we usually develop applications in." I said, "That doesn't surprise me; a lot of programmers don't like VB because it doesn't enforce good coding standards like other languages do. But, it doesn't keep me from writing good code if that's what I want to do, and it compiles into native binary code just as well as C++ does. Oh, and I was done with the assignment ten minutes ago; check the security tape if you want."

He leaned back in his chair, looked at me, looked back at the code, looked at me again, and said, "good answer."

In the end, I still didn't get the job, but as luck would have it, I got a better job at another company anyway.

13. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

post answers to all the questions as well if you can, thx

14. Coottie

15. GOGZILLA

probably not the best ways but easiest:

multiply by 7 example:
    Code:
    int numToMultiply = 15;
    int temp = numToMultiply;

numToMultiply = numToMultiply << 3;
    numToMultiply -= temp;

cout<<numToMultiply;

check power of two:
    Code:
    int main() {

int check;
    bool result = false;

cin >> check;

if ( (check & ~(check-1)) == check)
        result = true;

cout << endl << result << endl;

return 0;

}

16. Penguin Man

Yep, those are the optimal answers. No need for all the C++ garbage around them, though. The following would have been sufficient:

1: (x << 3) - x gives x * 7
    2: x & (x - 1) will be zero if and only if x is a power of 2.

17. Coottie

I thought every bit shift multiplies by a power of 2 so wouldn't shifting it 3 positions = multiplying by 8? What am I missing?

18. Penguin Man

(x << 3) - x == (x * 3) - x == x * 7

19. Nocera

Nocera ...

I usually don't have them write much code. I usually present some code to them and have them point out the problems. The problems are usually related to concurrency, improper data structures being used, or both.

After that, I ask 2 random questions in each of 4 categories: 1) General programming knowledge (Java), 2) Web Application specific questions, 3) Security, 4) Databases, and 5) Generalized code/db optimization. I then drill down into the category they knew the best to see how well they know it.

For my final question, I present them with an inadequate requirements document. I then ask them to tell me what further requirements they would need before they could begin on the design. Most people do not get past this point unfortunately (even the people that appear to be a solid programmer). If they do get past, I give them the added requirements and have them layout an informal design on a whiteboard.

I never leave the room to let them work. Someone watching over them is added pressure and I like to see how they respond and how they think aloud.

20. GOGZILLA

i c++'d them because it seemed like the dude would want to compile them and see them work to figure it out

21. Penguin Man

If the interviewer needs to compile them to see if they're right, it's probably not somewhere you want to work.

22. Coottie

damn makes sense now lol guess I was really tired last night and not thinking clearly.

But here's what I don't get, how does know how to multiply by 7 by using shift operations make one a better programmer?? Perhaps it's a job specific requirement but these types of questions seem more like brain teasers, ment to trip up the applicant, than actually trying to determine programming skill.

23. GOGZILLA

no, the op

24. GOGZILLA

it tests your knowledge of binary and low level math operations. itd be very good skills to have for an embedded programming position

25. Penguin Man

Ah, I see. Good idea.

They test your knowledge of the language and your ability to solve problems given some restrictions. The second question especially is probably something one you'd come up with an answer for immediately (unless you'd seen it before), so it helps the interviewer to see how you think through a problem.

Also, the company that asked me these two is a company that works on distributed file systems, so they do a fair amount of low-level stuff.