program to show the code for exe. files?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SnYpR808, Feb 5, 2003.

1. SnYpR808

SnYpR808 Guest

anybody knows if such a program exists and if so where i can find it?

2. knightm3

knightm3 Guest

If said program was written in C, you'd need a C Decompiler... and so on.

3. SnYpR808

SnYpR808 Guest

exactly what i was lookin for. much thanks

4. SnYpR808

SnYpR808 Guest

anybody know where i can find a good c decompiler? i've tried salamander but the site hasn't worked for me.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Maybe I'm losing it and behind the times, but there is no easy way to do this as C is assembled into machine language. You can then convert the machine code back into assembly but from there just how do you convert back into C? None of the labels are left, the structure and statements are gone - it's not bad if you're examining a very small part of the program but I don't see it recreating the code as the programmer saw it - even that is difficult to look at!

6. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I was thinking the same thing. From machine code you are stuck unless you're talented with Assembler.

Anyways, its not exactly legal activety (can you say DMCA?) Why do you want to take an EXE to C?

7. SnYpR808

SnYpR808 Guest

it's for a class. I'm not a programmer so i need all the help i can get. I wouldn't call it "cheating," more like working backward.

8. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

For a class? Do you have an assignment and found an application that does what you need to do for the assignment, so you'd like to decompile and get the source to pass off as your own? If so, it's probably easier and smarter (if you plan on learning at all) to get help from a professor or student tutor. The whole point to programming classes is to actually write code. A professor can lecture all day and you wouldn't know shit really. You learn by getting in there yourself and writing some code.

9. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

*IF* you are going into the computer industry (computer science, MIS/CIS/IS, EE) then you need to write your own code. *IF* you can't, at this point, write your own code and you need to rely on decompiling someone else's work, then THIS IS A CLUE TO GET OUT OF THIS INDUSTRY.

If you are stuck trying to figure out some code, then ask questions (either here or better yet, your prof). If you don't want to do that, then maybe thumb thru some coding books to see if you can find one that solves/discusses your coding problem or maybe explains it in a different way which might make it a lot easier for you. Or hit the 'net looking for code snippets to get ideas how others might have tackled similar problems.

10. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Astro, it's nice to see you back at CP. ;)

11. SnYpR808

SnYpR808 Guest

Yeah, I try to get help from the TA's but they never show up to the labs when they're supposed to, thus i'm stuck trying to teach it to myself. And no, i'm not trying to pass somebody elses work off as my own. The professor gives us our homework in exe. format and we're supposed to duplicated it. The decompiler was just supposed to help me figure out what he was doing. I'd be an idiot to try and copy his code, because he'd recognize it. Also, books aren't helping much. I bought one called "teach yourself 'C'" that helps with all the basic things but doesn't go in depth enough for it to be of much assistance.

12. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

bwhaha.. if that is your best hope, you are screwed. you should know by now you can never go from a low level language back to a high level one. ASM is the best a decompiler can do, and even that is especially contorted ASM

13. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

no

14. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

what a fucking jackass