Professor Loses Weight With No-Diet Diet

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Katsumoto, Dec 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

Interesting approach.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051204/ap_on_he_me/fit_intuitive_eating

Even if you lost weight with it, I'd imagine you'd be less healthy in general.
    Anybody wanna try it?

2. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

:hsugh: IBhe'sabillionairfrombooksales :hsugh:

:bsflag:

3. brettD

brettD New Member

so you buy all these foods you wnat, and then hope your mind will tell you not to eat them because you have so much?
    id come home one night in a drunken rage and eat everything i saw

and other couldnt control theirselves

4. vintage82

vintage82 we fuck you

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312957211/103-1363230-8305454?v=glance&n=283155

It's not "his" plan, and the idea that having the foods around is what ends the cravings is not part of the plan according to the book. Indulging and learning that if you want the foods, they will BE there and you can HAVE some is what helps end the excitement behind bingeing and overeating, and eating "bad" foods.

It's based on the premise that your body craves the types of foods and amount of calories necessary to maintain your natural healthy weight on its own, but that dieting/bingeing has masked that ability. The idea focuses on eating when you're biologically hungry and stopping when your biologically full. If you are craving a piece of cheesecake, it urges you to have a bite - an intuitive eater will be satisfied with a much smaller portion than an over-eater damaged by years of deprivation, and the intutive eater is less likely to eat way MORE calories in "healthy" foods trying to appease that craving.

It isn't a diet program, though. It is designed first and foremost to end deprivation and resolve issues with food, eating, and body image. The weight loss is neither the focus, nor the concern - it just so happens when you do eat intuitively, weight seems to drop off.

I'm nearly finished with the book. The first week I dropped a couple of pounds, but then had my boyfriend hide the scale - it was too distracting. I do notice that I eat less amounts of foods, but crave more calorie-dense foods. If I have chocolate several times during one day, I tend to crave salads and chicken and lighter foods the next. The trick is overcoming the mental stigma attached to foods labelled "good" and "bad" and just eat what sounds good to you. Once your mind and body realize that pizza is okay and no one is going to stop them from having some, the cravings do subside and the overeating does stop. It's a scary step to take but it's necessary to trust yourself with food.

It wouldn't work for a body builder, I'm guessing, but for someone as screwed up and miserable in the head regarding weight/body/food as I am . . . I think I'm liking it. :shrug:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2005
  5. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

I understand the idea behind it, but that doesn't change the fact that some foods are just plain unhealty for you. It seems like if you're going to try to completely change your thought processess regarding food, you might as well teach yourself to eat foods with the necessary nutients throughout the day without indulging on cheetoh's and ho ho's.

It seems like you'd be better off trying something like this with a child instead of an adult who has already learned to abstain and binge. I guess if you're really incabable of controlling yourself, such a method might be worthwhile though. But for just losing weight and becoming healthier, I don't think this is a very viable way.

6. JoeyJoJoJuniorShabadoo

JoeyJoJoJuniorShabadoo Live Free or Die

i would just keep eating, theres no telling how much i would eat if i didnt count calories and limit myself

7. Zika

Zika My avatar is still NOT me

I hear this is how ronnie prepares for a show :hsugh:

8. elysium

elysium New Member

I think you guys might be missing the point of the "diet".
    He didn't eat junk food all the time, from what I took from the article, he ate his regular meals and then for dessert or for a snack or whatever if he had a craving for some junk food he ate it till he felt full. It is not really some crazy idea, I am sure I've seen quite a few people on this board advocate losing weight like that.

9. Zika

But if he was still hungry then surely it means there's something wrong with his diet. Yes people on this bored calorie manage to include cheat meals, but more often than not they are planned meals which still make under total overall calories.

If you are still hungry after a day of dieting and your serious about losing weight you should maybe think then your not getting enough fibre, amino acids or overall calories for your diet. Not just eat a bunch of shit till your full.

10. elysium

elysium New Member

His "diet" is for the average person who just wants to lose weight and doesn't really give a shit about anything else.

It is a very simple concept, eat what you like until you are not hungry anymore, do a little physical activity, lose weight. And, he is not saying eat junk food the whole day but if you have a craving satisfy it till you are no longer hungry.

Really, what he is advocating is not a diet but just common sense, don't eat anymore food once you are no longer hungry. It is not rocket science.

11. Zika

But it's proven fact that alot of lower calorie foods will keep you full for longer e.g. lower GI and higher protein foods like oatmeal and chicken

If someone ate whatever they wanted till they did'nt want to eat anything anymore in hopes to lose weight why are they fat in the first place?

Alot of candy and shitty food is nothing but sugar, which will give you like a 400 calorie insulin spike which will give you a crash an hour later leaving you more hungry than before you ate the junk.

Of course calories in < calories out = weight loss, no matter the source. But just using your own body as a measure of whether you are getting enough food or not won't work..these people are fat in the first place because they don't know when to stop, or because they are eating shitty food which won't keep them full.

12. elysium

elysium New Member

Yes, obviously there are better and more efficient ways to lose weight but this guy is just trying to show that by using a little common sense and knowing when to stop eating will help you lose weight instead of gorging yourself all the time.

I still think you are focusing on the junk food too much, there meals did not consist of junk food, the article was just merely saying that you can eat junk food and still lose weight as long as you aren't an idiot.

I never said that they eat till they don't want to eat anymore but eat until they no longer feel hunger/full/satisfied. If I ate till I didn't want to eat anymore I would probably be super fat too.

13. brettD

brettD New Member

fucking lazy people why cant they just loose weight thr right way its not hard to put down the fucking twinkie

14. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

and here it is the next big OT craze...

15. vintage82

vintage82 we fuck you

It isn't about losing weight, though. It's about re-learing to listen to your body's natural cues and cravings. If you let a baby/toddler eat whatever s/he wants without influencing their diet, they will inevitable eat a perfectly balanced diet. They may eat carrots for two days in a row, and nothing but meat and bread the next, but it will be balanced.

If you want to lose weight, this isn't for you. If you want to trust yourself with food and not feel deprived, then it's so what you want.

16. Riconosuave

Riconosuave New Member

I'm still having a hard time following this diet/way of eating. Isn't this how fat people get fat in the first place? They don't count calories and eat whatever they want = fatty. Am I missing something? So, instead of being 100lbs overweight, you'll only be 60lbs overweight?

17. elysium

elysium New Member

To say that by not counting calories a person automatically becomes fat is too general a statement as there are many reasons people become fat. I would think the great majority of the skinny population does not count calories but just eat till they are no longer hungry and they maintain a constant weight. By listening to your body's natural cues you can gain/lose/weight without ever looking at calories, it just takes a little common sense. If you actually think that the only way a person will lose weight is if they count calories you are very short-sighted. Have you counted calories your whole life? Probably not, it is not like you were :noes: I don't know how many calories are in the food I guess that means I will just eat till my body can physically not take any more food in. All you did was applied a little commen sense about how much food you had eaten and how much your food your body needed.

Say a person notices they are gaining weight and they want to lose the weight they have gained, all they have to do is make a conscious effort to eat a little less, instead of eating until you are very full just eat till you no longer feel hungry. You will most likely lose weight.

Is this the best way to lose weight for everybody? Probably not. Will it work for some people? Yes, a person just has to listen to there body and use a little common sense about how much they eat.

18. nathanbx

nathanbx New Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

19. vintage82

vintage82 we fuck you

-Copyright © 1997 National Health Enhancement Systems, Inc.

-Copyright © 1999 - 2005 Keep Kids Healthy, LLC

-Copyright © 1997 by Aletha Solter Helping Young Children Flourish

-Laura Ciocan for www.dietsindex.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.