A&P Professionals: Do you turn in all pictures to your editor?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by SonicYan, Jul 4, 2009.

1. SonicYan

SonicYan Active Member

Just curious what the norm is or if it differs depending on the editor. Do you turn in a cd of all the images? Do you turn them in edited or unedited? :dunno:

2. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Top ten for a typical 1-2 picture spread. For a four to five-page magazine spread with 1500-2500 words I would turn about 20-30. There is no magical number. What it mostly depends on how many shots you have of different things from different focal lengths and angles i.e., I would not turn in 17 shots of the same thing because the person is slightly different in each one. But, if you have a a few angles at wide, medium and close then I would do the best two of each. Honestly, ask your editor what he or she wants. Most I know would be pissed if I flooded them with a cd full of throw-away shots that they had to sort through. Not to mention the fact that you don't want your editor to see all your sub-par shots. Also, I usually host all my paid work online and send the editor a digital contact sheet and a secure link to DL the ones they like at full res. I never see most of my editors. In fact, there is a magazine in town I have been shooting for for a year now and have never met "my" editor. Hope this helps :dunno:

3. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

for me its typically 25-50% more than what they "need".

4. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Depends on what the editor wants. If you're dong work for hire, they may likely just want all the stuff and do the editing themselves, especially since they own all the images you take.

Other aspects may want you to edit and send in a certain amount. Some of my work consists of anything that is good, even similar shots so they can choose between the slight differences based on the advertising or printing they may want to do.

The important thing is to check with the editor or client and find out what they want and expect BEFORE you do the job.

5. SonicYan

SonicYan Active Member

Thanks for the info guys. That does make sense leaving out the subpar ones.

6. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

Depends on the editor..I only do that when I know they have good taste plus they need to see evidence that it was more than one or two shots.