Professional PHP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Seeders, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Seeders

Seeders OT Supporter

Its a crappy language, but i've heard the demand is high for developers. Anybody have any experience doing PHP professionally?

I've been developing applications for my university with it for the past year, and I enjoy it enough that I'm considering going for a full time career in web development. Any advice?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it's very popular. It's not even a fraction as bad as people say. If you write sloppy code, then it's bad. If you write clean code, then it's good. You will only get out of it what you put into it.

USE A FRAMEWORK!

There are several. I like Zend because it's fairly minimalist. I have developed my own fork of it that is moderately customized for my own purposes. I have also used codeigniter, but that was frustrating to modify. Cake is another.

3. ge0

ge0 New Member

yeh ZEND ftw.. if you can, get the Zend Editor.

4. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

I toyed with Cake for a while, I enjoyed it.

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

How do you write 'clean code' when everything is a global? But yes, for god's sakes use a framework.

6. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

are you confusing yourself with perl? php variables have a limited scope unless invoked with the global keyword.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  7. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

or even javascript where you have to explicitly declare locals. It's so annoying when I use scratch variables, call a function and they are destroyed :mad:

8. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

huh? I don't remember everything being global at all. I think you're confused.

I used to work for a company that used the Prado framework for PHP. It's was easy to work with and free.

I'm not sure why the OP says PHP is a crappy language...that's like saying dell computers suck. Something which everyone knows is BS.

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I was referring to the lack of lexical scoping in PHP, which Perl has but PHP does not. Which is a problem. As to 'everything being a global,' try use strict.

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Perl has full lexical scoping as a feature. PHP lacks this completely. Global/Function scope is all you get. Lame.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

bad analogy, because dell machines do suck. :noes:

12. Coottie

:rofl:
    That part was specifically thrown in for your amusement.

Even if you're just like a jaded lover that simply can't get over his ex. Let it go man.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I figured as much ;)

when dell builds a decent machine, then we'll let it go.

14. Coottie

You'll never know it because you're too quick to respond the exact same way every time, regardless of what anyone says.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i am always checking out new machines. I think we can agree that deusexaethera isn't my biggest fan... he was surprised when I recommended a Gateway to someone. In my testing, they have once again started making good machines.

I will openly evaluate dell machines. I am firmly against them here because I do re-evaluate them and they are shit. If they change that, then I'll loosen my opinion on them until sufficient time has passed, and they prove a good trackrecord, and I will recommend them.

As it is now, their new offerings are NOT worthy of recommendation, and their trackrecord is very poor.

I'm happy for you that you have a Dell that hasn't caught on fire, yet. That doesn't make dell good. You must especially consider that you could have gotten a better machine elsewhere.

16. Coottie

Holy shit...that's the most I've ever seen you type. Are your fingers ok....you didn't hurt anything did you? :rofl: I kid, I kid.

I'm fully aware that my experience has been very good as other people's has been also.

What I find so hard to believe is that my experience is THAT extraordinary. Dell is a huge company. They could not have achieved that kind of success by turning out crap....there's simply no way.

I just started working for a company with over 6,000 people and we all have dells. I'm sure there are many other companies out there like ours. Hmmm......surely all these other IT people are not as delusional as I am??

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

crap sells. Why is everything made in China now? It's not for the quality, I assure you. Price, cost, money -- these are the consistent driving factors for the majority of production.

Fact of the matter is that Dell is successful based on price and marketing -- not on product quality.

If you work for an average company in an average job, then surely you've been frustrated when a purchase dicision is driven by the beancounters.

The average IT person is an idiot. Actually it's worse. The above-average IT person is an idiot. They've also all been raised on Dell. Dell has been marketing geniouses! They don't sell in stores. Why? Because they DONT want you to try the product before you buy (at least not the product you want to buy). They give huge discounts for contract-deals with big companies and schools... So that's what people are exposed to. They are used to Dell machines. They are raised as kids seeing Dell machines.

When you don't know any better, bad products can seem good -- because that's just what you're used to. Consider GM in the 1980's. They had a shitty product. But for years people accepted it because that is what they knew. Toyota came around and showed the world that cars could be reliable. (Actually it's not fair to give toyota all the credit. Datsun provied it before Toyota, but toyota took it a step farther).

This holds true in the home-brew PC market. People keep buying gigabyte and asus boards because other people keep telling them to do that. The lie keeps perpetuating itself.

You know how many dead asus boards I've seen? It's pathetic. People that take my advice end up having spectacular experiences. I get thank you's all the time from people I haven't seen or talked to in a year.

The fact remains that you could have done better than a dell. So why short-change yourself?

18. Coottie

Crap only sells for a time. When people get burned, they move on. I'm sure you got burned by dell and moved on however, I'm suggesting that your experience isn't the norm.

No I can't back that up with data other than looking at the size of Dell. I don't think they would have grown to the size they are without selling good machine.

IMO marketing and price can only get you so far. Dell has done very well.
    Yep...but the funny thing is, I'm very happy with the set ups from my current employer. We have some kick ass hardware.

I disagree totally. It was a brilliant move.

Having stores takes overhead to keep them going. This takes money away from R&D. However, because of the competition they wouldn't be allowed to raise their prices to cover this overhead....so they skimp on R&D. Hmmm....does this sound like Gateway or what?

It's not because they didn't want you to try it before you buy it. It was an accounting decision to save the overhead and it was a brilliant move.

You act as if your beloved IBM doesn't do this also. Look I saw the shit that IBM was trying to push....Microchannel architecture anyone??

It's a damned good thing that there was competition in the marketplace because if IBM had their way back in the early 90s we would all be paying more for our computers.

IMO GM still has shitty products.....I mean I love the corvette, viper and other cars but come on, they make shit. Actually, I'm arguing your point....shit sells. :rofl:
    The lie that dell = shit is no different.
    Cool....I'm glad I don't have asus.
    At the time, my decision was driven by finances. I was still in Uni, not working and wanted an Apple but they only had 6 months no interest. Dell had 1 year and a great deal on the warranty. I even called Apple and begged them to make me the same deal.

Based on the posts here, I fully expected to be buying a turd. It's been anything but and based on Peyomp's warranty experience with his Apple vs mine with Dell, Dell fucking ROCKS!!!

I have a hard time believing I could have done much better.

19. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

the arguments aren't the problem in this subforum, it's that everyone is so god damned opinionated.

p.s. i own a dell, it's ran fine for the 1 1/2 years i've owned it. i know lots of people with dells and none of them have failed or had problems. i know the company isn't perfect and they've had their problems such as batteries back in the day, but good hell.

p.p.s. i use to think dell's came with a lot of shitty software running the background, then i bought my boss a lenovo. that has so much pre-installed shit it's ridiculous. just thought i'd mention.

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

lenovo always gives me the option of getting them clean. I do that.

Besides, if you're not formatting factory machines then you have other issues you need to deal with.

21. Seeders

Seeders OT Supporter

I say PHP is a crappy language because its basically a long list of functions that has been slowly added to over the years. Its great for getting something simple up easily, but on the other hand, a language like Python is created from the ground up to be object oriented and is much easier to handle on a large project.

PHP has frameworks to help, but Python just seems more attractive.

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

there is nothing attractive about python. it's so shitty that i can't believe it's still around.

23. Seeders

Seeders OT Supporter

:ugh2:

24. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

What do you dislike about it, other than "it was hard, I couldn't understand it" ?

25. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:nono: yea that's a good one :nono: