professional cost to install 2-ch amp?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mojo, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Mojo

Mojo New Member

my current setup is a mono amp thats connected to my subs, components up front, 3ways in the rear and a premier HU. i want to amp my component speakers up front but i believe ill have a hard time runing wire through door hinges and whatnot. so i was thinking of letting the pros do it. since there is no need to run a power wire or anything difficult, how much should i pay for a shop for labor only to run the speaker wire (ill be taking care of the remote/ground/power) to my front components only? *i have all wires ready from my own possesion*

i would do it myself but i got no place to work on my car (not even my own backyard due to an @ss landlord and unpatient neighbors). plus, my speakers are connected with electrical tape anyways so hopefully the shop would use some sort of speaker connectors for a professional finish lol.
    what you guys think?

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

if u would have a lot of trouble doing it yourself then having the pros do it is probably a good idea :dunno:

if there is more than one place that can do it (which im assuming there is) go around and get quotes.

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

$50-$100 bucks. tell them to run the shit thru the boots and you'll take care of the rest

4. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

why dont you just run speaker wire up to your headunit? unless you're pushing more then 150watts per channel the factory wiring will be fine.

5. Mojo

Mojo New Member

i never heard of running the speaker wire behind the HU, how do i go about that?

its 50w rms per channel, its an alpine amp so im sure its underrated a little

6. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

He's saying use the factory harness wiring that goes to the speakers and splice into that rather than replacing all of your wiring. I'm pretty sure Alpine figures are just about dead-on, I don't think they underrate. Anyway, if you are capable of running interconnects from your HU to your amp, then you should be capable of running speaker wire to the factory harness and using some butt splices. Not the way I'd do it (cause I'm a perfectionist), but it should be fine.

7. Mojo

Mojo New Member

aside from an more easier install, are their any pros and cons of splicing behind the HU?

8. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Pros: Easier to re-install OEM speakers and HU when selling the car.
    Cons: Potential noise issues, and it may not be large enough to handle the power output of your amplifier properly. With 50W, you're probably ok though. Take some wire strippers to the harness and find out the gauge. If it's between 14-18awg, I wouldn't worry about it. If its 20 or higher... I'd probably run my own wiring.