Productive Anger / Focus

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Memor, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Memor

Memor Active Member

Out of curiosity, how do you guys go about getting completely focused and wanting to slay the bar when you lift? It seems that they way you approach lifts mentally has a pretty big effect (well significant enough for me) on how hard you push yourself and what you can actually do.

So how do you get fucking furious at the bar and rape it and any kind of future bars it may or may not give birth to in the future?

Watching guys like Kaz, Benni, Tate go nuts before theif big lifts in videos is pretty awesome, because as much of a spectacle as it seems to most people, that's 150% focus that most of us don't ever come close to.

On the days that I can switch it on I stare at the floor usually, out of focus, and grind my palms back and forth against the bar, until it almost starts to hurt, then I focus the breathing, then try to shut everything else out, then go for it. But everyone's got their own methods. A pretty serious guy in my gym puts a towel over his head and stares down the entire time between sets so that he sees just a tunnel to the floor, then right before his lift he rips it off, his eyes go wide, takes a deep breath and he goes for the lift.

And I'm a fucking pussy with a big 3 of 830ish @168lbs or whatever, who gives a fuck about my numbers - but guys that are up in the really heavy 3 with suits, I can't even begin to fucking imagine how focused they need to be with 800lbs on your back or 500lbs above your face.

So what do you guys do? Kick people off the bikes mid-spinning class? A certain band/song in your headphones? A phrase you say to yourself? Enya?

2. Devil

Devil I have become my terror. OT Supporter

i've only achieved that level once before and that was when i hit my squat PR

i still haven't figured out how to get back in that state of mind

3. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

I like to be calm but focused in the gym most of the time.

For max attempts though you just have to turn on the switch and unleash the beast. Certain songs will get me amped up but when you see the weight in front of you you know you have to get in the zone or its not going to be a successful attempt.

4. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

ammonia gets me there pretty quickly

5. Memor

Memor Active Member

Yeah it really is amazing how much of a difference your state of mind makes on those

6. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

a hit of ammonia and a big fucking slap on the back of the neck from a 275-SHW with some metal blasting always gets me pumped!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  7. Memor

Memor Active Member

Yeah potential for danger really seems to play a big role. I know that when I go backcountry skiing/climbing in the winter, when it comes to things like hucking cliffs or hiking up some razor ridge just to point down thin steep chutes where wrong turns and lack of control can kill you, my mind switches into a whole different gear, it's like I go bi-polar. Just wish I could take that and apply it to lifting. Maybe I'll figure it out someday.

8. Professional

Professional Guest

I usually just totally zone out whenever I'm in the gym

Regardless of what I'm doing, PR, max effort etc.

My eyes go slightly out of focus and the voices of people around me just sort of drift off, I usually close my eyes for a couple seconds and picture myself lifting the weight in my head - then go for it.

Rest (sleep) also has a lot to do with my energy levels and focus levels during a workout.

9. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

for gym lifts you want to keep emotional stress to a minimum. i guess thats if youre competing though. if youre a natural sandbagger like most people are theres really not much point to try because you cant get furious at shit everyday.

10. White_Hype

White_Hype Guest

getting your mind right can REALLY make a difference

here are somet techs i use:

think about shit that gets you really amped only right before you are about to lift (think the big guys in the gym are saying to eachother "no way that little pussy can lift that" or think of a time you got rejected etc)

listen to songs that pump you up like 30 secs before you lift (if you are listening to them for a good while before the lift it wont be as good)

slap yourself in the face/chest

change your breathing (like you are going to war, big deep breaths, eyes wide open like you are about to charge the enemy)

11. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

i like to have my training partner trick me every once in a while by putting on more weight than i was expecting

my brain thinks its lighter than it is and i clear the lift without any troubles, then he'll tell me what it was on and i proceed to punch him for messing with me

sure, its dangerous but its worked every time for me to get over a mental brick wall

12. Memor

Memor Active Member

:rofl: :x:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.