Product Streaking

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by seismic, Dec 25, 2005.

1. seismic

seismic New Member

I stopped using my Klasse AIO & SG because the first time after applying that I washed my car, it would leave streaks that looked like horrible swirl marks, but you could tell from inspection that it wasn't scratches, rather it seemed as if the sealant glaze itself was smearing all over the paint. I figured it was because I was applying the SG incorrectly, so I tried using a full setup of Meguiar's.

I used the 3 step detailing products that they sell at Shucks, the cleaner, polish and wax. The cleaner and the polish I applied with my porter cable random orbit, and buffed both out completely. Paint was looking great. I applied the wax by hand and waited for 2 hours for it to dry. Buffed out.

I went a week without washing, and as soon as I did, same thing. Smearing. It didn't appear to be as noticeable as the Klasse. With Klasse it seemed like you could see it in less light, but with the Meguiar's wax it was harder to notice unless it was in direct sunlight.

My car was fully painted two years ago, and the front bumper was painted and blended back to the doors. I used all PPG products.

Wtf is going on here? I can't use any products without them smearing. I've changed wash mitts. I use different temperature water, different soaps.

Any tips? I almost never want to detail again. I take 2-3 hours applying all this stuff, paint comes out looking amazing, and then the first time I wash it, I almost wish I never did any work...

2. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

The SG, I bet you used too much... you have to use an almost non exsistant amount of that stuff.

As for the wax, that could also be the problem as well, and/or you aren't getting it all off. Oh and the fact you left it on for 2 hours. That probably made it more difficult to get off and you still have some on there. Do a panel or two at a time and then remove the product. Not all products (actually most) do not require a long dwell time. Thin is key. How much are you using? What are you using to remove it? Any of those (or several) of those factors could be causing your issue.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

n2_space is right. Klasse SG has to be applied whisper thin and waxes don't need to dry for 2 hours.

4. seismic

seismic New Member

I applied the Klasse at least 8 different times, on different cars, and never had this problem. Even on a car the same color as mine. It only happens on my car. I apply it thin enough that it covers everything, yet you can't even see the applied product unless you hit it in the right light.

For both wax and SG I've heard the longer you wait the more it dries, and the easier it will be to take off. The wax I waited longer than usual, because I was doing something else while it was drying. The SG I usually wait 30 minutes only. I Klasse'd at least 3 times and got the same effect that I'm getting with the wax.

Am I just a complete retard, or is there something with my paint that could be causing this?

5. Parabellum

Parabellum Molon Labe!

Bill north over on autopia wrote up his method of applying SG using a wipe on wipe off technique.

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30989

6. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

I would take another look at your polishing towels. It sounds like theres residue on them.......

7. seismic

seismic New Member

When I use the detail products, the car comes out perfect. I leave the car alone for a week. Still perfect, but dirty.

I wash it, streaks everywhere. This is my problem. It might be just because the car is so dark, but I have detailed a jeep that is the same color and didn't have the same problems. Used the same equipment, same products, same garage, same water. It's noticeable only in direct sunlight. Am I mistaking common swirling for a bigger problem?

I have two seperate buckets, one for soap and one for rinsing. I keep my mitts super clean and replace them often. I've tried cotton, wool, microfiber. I clean my polisher pads (the three color meguiars dark red, yellow & tan) after every use, usually in the washing machine.

8. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

How about some pics? As patrick and I said, you probably still have some residue on it, or maybe you are confusing something. If you have pics that will help us help you :)

9. seismic

seismic New Member

It's hard to capture, I'll make sure I get it as soon as I get a camera. :sad2:

10. seismic

seismic New Member

[​IMG]

Not my car, but this is exactly what it looks like. This was from Nissan's website, talking about their new paint technology. This is a "swirl marked finish".

I guess that's my only problem... I'm just really bummed that I can detail it and have it completely swirl free, then the next time I wash my car it looks horrible. :(

What do you guys use to make sure you don't swirl it? Like I said before, I've tried all sorts of mitts, but they've all been from the local auto store, so I'm sure there's something better out there...

11. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I bet what you are doing it trying to dry already nearly dry paint with a dry towel. Looks like what you are getting is drying streaks. Try using a quick detail spray next time and see if that removes them. Also, make sure one of your drying towels is at least damp.

12. seismic

seismic New Member

It happens mid wash. It's like the car is perfect, and as soon as any material touches the surface, it scratches. I'll wash it with a mitt, and see the swirls before it's been dried.

Am I just too picky? This car used to be silver, so I never noticed anything on it. Now I can see all the flaws in it.