Product list

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Scottwax, Jun 22, 2001.

1. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Product list parts one and two

Products lists one and two have been combined.

Hard supplies needed:

Wet/Dry vac-1.5hp and up is sufficient
    Assortment of vacuum nozzles-including a thin crevice tool
    Bucket
    Spray nozzle
    Foam or Terry Cloth covered wash pads
    Wheel brush, body & bumper brush, thin brush for tight areas, interior brush (soft bristles)
    Terry cloth towels (bath towels)
    Foam hand wax applicators
    California exterior and interior car dusters
    Q-tips (for cleaning vents)

Waxes:

Waxes are primarily to seal and protect the paint. They will add some shine, but not as much as a polish will. I recommend the following based on actual use:
    Meguairs High Tech Yellow wax #26, Meguiars Polymer Sealant #20, 3Ms Perfect it Show Car Wax (paste only), Mother's Carnuba Wax, Wax Shop's Super Glaze (desspite the name, it is a wax). Zymol is a good wax, but it is a bitch to use and leaves blue residue in the cracks and emblems. The other waxes listed won't.

Polishes and Glazes:

Polishes and glazes are used to add oils to the paint for more shine and smooth the surface for more reflection. I use Meguiars Pro Body Shop line, but if there is not a Meguairs distributer in your area, you will have to order them from http://www.meguiars.com I have used and recommend the following:
    Meguairs Hand Polish (Pro Body Shop) and Meguairs Show Car Glaze or Machine Glaze (Mirror Glaze line), Wax Shops's Safe Cut and 3Ms Imperial Hand Glaze. None of these will dry white or haze the rubber or plastic. All will add shine and clarity to the paint surface, but will not remove serious paint defects-that is not their purpose.

Cleaners/Compounds and Swirl Removers

Cleaners and compounds are made to remove serious paint defects, like oxidation, scratches, etc, and swirl removers are used to smooth the surface after using a cleaner/compound and to remove any swirl or scratch marks made by the cleaner/compounds. Always start with the lightest cleaner or compound, and use a stronger one only when necessary. Try any of the following:
    Meguairs Dual Action cleaner/polish and Diamond Cut cleaner (Pro Body Shop), Meguiars Fine, Medium or Heavy Cut cleaners (Mirror Glaze line), or any of 3Ms or Wax Shops cleaners and compounds.

For swirl removers, there is Meguairs Swirl Free Polish (PBS) and Swirl Remover (MGL) or 3Ms swirl remover.

Spray Detailers

These are used to clean your car when it is only dusty (after dusting with you car duster), or after washing or waxing to make sure no residue is left on the paint. Meguiars Final Inspection, Quick Detailer, or Wax Shops Slick Stuff all work very well.

Glass Cleaners

Only one recommendation: Eagle's 20/20 Glass cleaner. Works great, is cheap, and repels water almost as well as Rain X.

Interior Cleaners

Woolite-yes, the same Woolite used to gently wash sweaters and stuff like that. Mix it in a spray bottle at 6 parts water and 1 part Woolite. Spray liberally on the surface, use a small plastic brush, scrub the surface and dry with a cloth towel. It works great on all fabrics, carpets, vinyl and yes, leather-in fact, it will leave the leather very soft after using.

Vinyl, Rubber and Leather dressings

Vinyl and Rubber can use the same products; Meguairs Rubber and Vinyl cleaner and conditioner, Meguairs W-Dressing (PBS), STP's Son of a Gun, Armor All-I would discourage using the real shiny and greasy stuff on the interior-it attracts dust and makes the sun reflect the dash into the windshield while driving towards the sun.

For leather, use a dedicated leather conditioner, like Meguairs Gold Class for Leather, Tanners Preserves, Lexol or Eagles leather conditioner.

Miscellaneous

When using Meguiars products, only use the Mirror Glaze or Pro Body Shop lines, not the burgandy bottle stuff like the deep crystal system or Cleaner wax. They are for the casual user, not someone who wants the ultimate in shine.

You do not have to glob on a bunch of wax or polish-a blob the size of a quarter should be enough to cover your entire hood-a 16 oz bottle of wax is enough to wax your car at least 30 times-use just enough to lightly cover the surface of the paint.

When using a polish or glaze, rub into the paint until it looks almost clear, and let sit for 20-30 minutes so the oils can soak in and it is easier to remove.

You do not need a buffer, especially one with a wool pad. The swirl marks are not worth it-and you can do just as good a job by hand without risking swirl marks, burnt paint and the mess the buffers make by slinging wax all over the place.

Do not waste your money on any wax that claims to have Teflon® in it. Unless you are able to apply the wax at 600+ degrees, the telfon is not a viable ingredient-and this is straight from Dupont.

Clay Bars

Detailing clay is used to remove imbedded dirt, grime, overspray, etc from the paint without the use of abrasives. If after washing and waxing, you run your hand over the paint and it has a gritty feel, you need to use a clay bar. Meguiars, Mothers and Clay Magic all make good systems, and they come with everything you need except a towel to dry the paint after claying. Just follow the package directions and wax after finishing. Your paint will be super slick and smooth like glass.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2003
  2. MiseryIndex

MiseryIndex i never know why. i only know who. Moderator

sidenote: www.carparts.com now carries meguiars products.
    until very recently they only carried mothers

Last edited: Jul 8, 2001
  3. TaintdMind

TaintdMind Guest

Scott thanks for putting up this post. Very helpfull. I was wondering though if it is advisible to use a good wax after using a cleaner/polish? My paint is in dire need of some shine and has a haze after washing. I've currently used the Meguier's 3-step process but from what you are posting and from what I'm understanding I should bump it up to the pro-line? I don't mind spending the additional money to get a better shine. Of course within reason.

4. Scottwax

TaintdMind: Definately step up to either the Mirror Glaze or Body Shop Pro line (although you have to go through a Meguiars distributer to get the Pro line-check your yellow pages under car washing suppliers or detailing suppliers). High Tech Yellow wax runs about $10 for a 16 oz bottle, and that should be enough to wax your car about 15-20 times. It also will not dry white, so no white crap in your emblems and between body panels.

You always have to wax after polishing-the polish adds oils and smooths the paint, and the wax protects.

5. MiseryIndex

no...as i just said. carparts.com now sells meguiars stuff. including mirror glaze.
    :bigthumb:
    i got the hand polish, show car glaze, yellow wax, wheel cleaner, final inspection, & high endurance tire gloss in the mail today :)
    thanks for forcing me to spend $70 & try this stuff out scott :p

6. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

3 q's..
    What do you recomend for a car with NO clearcoat ??

My wheels clearcoat is fading.. how do I remove it all.. ( center caps+ area around is off!)

Whats your hold on electric buffers?

TIA :)

7. Scottwax

Depends on the condition of the paint. To remove oxidation, Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner/Polish is the best (see SickLife's post in this thread for the website), but once the paint is shining, then a glaze or light polish before waxing everytime to keep a lot of oil in the paint.

I've never actually stripped wheels before, but probably a strong polish could do it. Anyone else?

Random orbital with foam pads are okay (but not really necessary), and I would stay away from high speed rotary buffers, especially with wool pads--unless you like swirl marks, of course.

If your paint is in good condition, there is no reason to use a buffer.

8. MiseryIndex

i don't trust machines :p

my paint is really bad..scratch wise. but i keep it pretty shiny.
    i use the show car glaze, then i was it with just water, then the yellow wax, then hand polish, then final inspection.
    i actually really like mothers 'showtime', i've been switching back & forth between that & final inspection & quick detailer. i really can't decide what i like best. i use black magic's paint protectant one of my guitars thats black, but i don't like it for my car :b\
    i want my paint as reflective as possible, especially while at shows. it attracts so much more attention that way.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

its still not where i want it to be though :dunno:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2001
  9. LBKornhusker

LBKornhusker Muscular cyborg German dude dances with sexy Frenc

A few things that I'd like to add.

- Carparts.com is now owned by JCWhitney and is no longer it's own site. As far as I'm concerned JCWhitney sucks as it has fewer products.:(

- Micro-fiber towels are fantastic for buffing wax off after it has been applied with a lint-free towel. It picks up ALL the wax, and leaves no residue. They're relatively expensive, but definitely worth it. They are washable too, but don't use fabric softener, as it will destroy the micro-fibers.:(

10. MiseryIndex

yeppers, i know. so naturally, i had to find an alternative...;)

http://www.partsamerica.com/default.asp

:big grin:

11. BimmerJustin

BimmerJustin Why would you deny yourself something you want?

If I may add my input...

I use flannel cloths to apply paint cleaner, polish, and remove wax. Best thing possible IMO. I use small foam pads to apply wax. After washing the car, I've found the best thing to dry it is a product called The super absorbing drying towel from a company called P21S. It is a chamois towel that absorbs water amazingly, but you must keep it clean or it will leave dirt marks.

For wheels, A prduct called Mothers wheel polish, works unbelieveable. It comes in a small can, and must be applied/removed with a towel of any type.

But the most useful product I own is P21S citrus degreaser. It works for any tough cleaning job imaginable. Kind of costly though. Most of the products I've mentioned are available from www.carcarespecialties.com

A great site, very reliable.

12. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Any good internet or chain store sources for the products you listed Scottwax?

13. Fryd_Up

Fryd_Up Guest

Scott, have you ever heard of a wax called collinite?
    website here: http://www.collinite.com/auto.htm

My pop's used it and so have I, it really seems to last long and look good, alot of the people we've let try it have really been impressed. Just thought I'd bring it up incase it interests you. You really seem to know your shit, hopin to learn alot here.:big grin:

14. bmf

bmf Guest

A few of the products Scottwax recommended is designed for and marketed to pro detailers so it can be difficult to find that stuff retail. Most places like Pep Boys or other auto parts chains want to sell what is super-profitable and sells well. So the top quailty products are rarely found.

Having said that you can find a few gems in the rubble if you are willing to shop around. My local Pep Boys carries a few Meguiar's Mirror Glaze products (found in the tan-colored bottles). Also shop your local NAPA auto parts. They usually carry a large line of 3M products which are very good and some Meguiar's stuff. Don't be afraid to stop in your local neighborhood auto parts stores. Sometimes you will find a few suprises on their shelves.

The Car Care Specialties website is excellent if basic. Their tips and hints area is especially helpful for those wanting to know more about detailing. The owner of Car Care, Larry Reynolds, is a very knowledgeable and experienced person. It's not like a couple morons selling overpriced junk. Everything they carry is good stuff and the staff knows their shit.

Also check out www.properautocare.com. Lots of serious detailers use the stuff sold there. Maybe the best place on the net to find detailed info on the best car care products available. Get their catalog and learn something.

Fryd Up - Collinite seems to be good stuff. It's a carnauba-based wax that gives a great shine and lasts a decent amount of time. I've never used it but know folks that do and they really like it. I'd say it is comparable to the better carnauba waxes from Meguiars and 3M and fairly competitive to the best products on the market like Pinnacle and P21S.

One last comment - LBKornhusker mentioned microfiber towels. Lemme tell ya, these things have revolutionized car detailing. I've been detailing for fun and profit for over 20 years and have never used a product like this. The beauty of microfiber (MF) is that it is super soft (softer than human hair) yet has a nap that will lift off wax residue and all kinds of crap like it was a magnet. If you use MF towels on your windows you will be totally stunned at how clean they will be. No cotton towel comes close, and I have over 100 cotton terry towels and ~50 flannel towels. You can find MF towels at bed and bath stores if you want to try them out. Believe me, they rule.

15. DAN513

DAN513 Guest

Microfiber towels just rule. There is no 2 ways about it. I discovered them last summer and they have cut down on the amount of time it takes me to wax my car. I usually put the wax on with a sponge, then remove the bulk of it with a cotton towel and then buff with a microfiber one. There is no greasy residue left when I'm done with the microfiber.

16. Scottwax

You can order most (if not all) Meguiars products, including their new Detailer line and the Body Shop Professional line through their website or click on the link for professional product distributers in your area. www.meguiars.com

Fryd_Up, yes, I have heard of Collinite-it and Meguiars High Tech Yellow paste (though I prefer liquid) were the top mid range (price wise) waxes in the www.thewaxtest.com shootout.

bmf is right-most of the Meguiars Mirror Glaze and 3M Professional products can be hard to find-although Pep Boys does carrry some of each line and NAPA stores are pretty well stocked as well.

17. Argyle

Argyle Guest

Woolite and leather

hey scottwax. i read the product list and saw that you recommend using 6 parts water and 1 part woolite on leather. i got two questions:

1. i thought water ruins leather. wont this hurt it my leather?

2. if it doesn't hurt it, what should i use to clean the leather with? a sponge? damp towel?

thanx

18. Scottwax

Re: Woolite and leather

Water does not ruin leather. On the back of the tags on the driver's side headrest on new Cadillacs, it states "leather should be cleaned with water and a mild soap." Woolite is about as mild a soap as you can find. If you drench your seats with water, it may cause them to shrink if you then park in the hot sun, but for cleaning purposes, it will not hurt the leather at all. In fact, when you wash your car, you should also wipe down all the leather and vinyl to reduce the need to deep clean them.

I mix the woolite and water in a spray bottle and apply it to the leather and then brush it with a small brush with stiff plastic bristles, then wipe it dry.

19. moss

moss Guest

Quick question on Cleaners/Compounds... When do I need to use them? For example, I want to begin a clean slate w/ my car, should I use a compound to take off all the wax? Which of the Meguiars MGL Cleaners should I use?

TIA.

20. Scottwax

You shouldn't need a compound unless you have a lot of scratches, oxidation, etc that require a strong cleaner. If your paint is in good shape, you should never need anything stronger than Fine Cut #2 or if you can get it Dual Action Cleaner/Polish which starts off as strong as #2, but the diminishing abrasives break down an it turns into a light polish. It is from their Body Shop Professional line, so you will have to get it online or through a Meguiars distributer in your area (they have a link on their site).

After the initial wash, clay the car, then use the lightest cleaner/polish you need. If your paint is in good shape and has minimal or no swirls, scratches, etc, then Swirl Remover 2.0 or Swirl Free Polish (BSP line) is a strong as you need. If your paint has been neglected or it has been a long time since you waxed it, then use either FC #2 or DAC/P, the the swirl remover of your choice. You can follow with Show Car Glaze #7 or Hand Polish (BSP) before waxing.

If you use the Body Shop products, make sure you work them into the paint until they look nearly clear and dry before removing the excess.

21. Mirwolf

Mirwolf Im confused and so am I

Hey Scott. what do you think of Zaino? and how did it do in the wax shootout?

22. Scottwax

It is really good for detailing your own personal vehicle, but for a business, it isn't so good-not because of the results, but because of the drying time.

Zaino seems to work best on lighter colors, silvers and pearls because of the mirror like shine, but it isn't as good as high end carnubas (like Pinnacle Souveran and P21S) on reds and blacks because like most other synthetic waxes (like Klasse), the shine isn't really very wet looking.

I haven't received my copy of the waxtest.com report (I am supposed to receive a free copy since I sent them pics of some of my customer's cars to go in the magazine), but I have heard that Zaino came out on top, but I don't know the reasons-probably the durability had a lot to do with it, because in the original tests, as far as shine went, P21S rated an A- and Pinnacle Souveran was B+ and Zainos was B.

23. Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden Guest

Ahem, heard of Zaino?

24. Scottwax

Ahem, did you not read the posts above yours? :slap:

Search the forum. Zainos has been mentioned on numerous occasions. :rolleyes:

25. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

:Owned: