Processor Affinity

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Mar 1, 2006.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Is there a way (a command-line flag, or a shortcut hack, or something) to specify that a process should always have a certain priority and a certain processor affinity? I have some GIS programs at work, and the rendering goes quite a bit faster if I can isolate it to a single CPU and give it Realtime priority. But I have to do it manually every single time I run the program. How can this be automated, if at all?

2. deusexaethera

3. deusexaethera

I may have answered my own question, but I need someone with a multi-core or hyperthreaded computer to test it for me. My multiprocessor workstation is at my office, and I'm not.

"start /realtime notepad.exe -cpu 0"

Supposedly this command, entered at a DOS prompt (cmd.exe) will run Notepad with the highest possible priority and only on CPU 0. I know the process priority part works, but I can't test the CPU affinity part at home. Can someone plug this in for me and tell me if it works? Thanks.

4. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

5. deusexaethera

Thanks, I'll take a look. I'm actually in the middle of developing my own utility that will automatically reconfigure processes to have user-specified priorities and affinities as soon as they start running. I managed to find a little freeware tool that can change the CPU mask for a given process, so all I need is a powerful interface.

Even if the tool you pointed me to does what I need, I might keep working on my tool just to have it work exactly the way I want it to. And if I do that, I'll try to find somewhere to post my tool online.