Problems with XP home install... Keeps booting from CD

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Papa Sil, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Papa Sil

Papa Sil Privileged User

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (BlackBerry 8330: BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.97 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

This is probably some stupid problem, but I'm at a loss.

I'm trying to install XP Home on a machine I was working in for my brother.

I load the Windows CD, go through the initial file load, reformat hard drive, load windows folders, then the system prompts that its going to reboot - so it does.

Now here is where the problem comes in. When the system reboots, it doesn't give me an option to boot from CD or not, like what I am used to. It just goes right back to the same window asking me if I want to reformat...

I tried messing with the boot order, but no dice. What's going on and how do I get this damn OS installed?? Thanks! :wavey:

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Pop the disc out until it start booting from the hard drive, then put the disc back in real quick-like before the second phase of the installer gets pissed.

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Are you sure you changed the boot order back to hard drive first in the BIOS?

Take out the CD on the first boot and put it back in after Windows setup loads?

EDIT - beat me to it...

4. Papa Sil

Papa Sil Privileged User

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (BlackBerry 8330: BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.97 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I tried taking the disk out last night and let it try and load without it.

It came up with the no boot disk prompt and asked that I insert a boot disk. I inserted the Windows disk again and it went back to the disks install screen :mad:

5. deusexaethera

If you're getting a no-boot-disk warning, then it's not actually installing. You might need a new hard drive.

EDIT: Are there any other hard drives in this machine, besides the one Windows is getting installed on? If so, unplug them and reinstall.

6. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Last time I reinstalled Windows it screwed up during the install. I had the same problem until I booted with Linux and erased the windows directory from the drive.

Also, when its rebooting you aren't hitting any buttons when it asks if you want to boot from cd are you (if so, don't)?

7. Papa Sil

Papa Sil Privileged User

I have a nimber of ither hard drives to try out, but I really wanted to use this one. I just had this hard drive installed on another machine as. A storagw drive. So as of yesterday the drive worked fine on the other machine

8. Papa Sil

Papa Sil Privileged User

No, not hitting any buttons. It just automatically boots to the CD

9. Papa Sil

Papa Sil Privileged User

Just got home. I took the CD out and tried to boot. It came up with a message stating:

"Disk boot failure. Insert system disk and press enter."

Now I have already formatted this hard drive twice last night. Is there anything I'm missing? Or anything I can try new?

I'm tired of typing on my BB :o

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  10. deusexaethera

So this is the only hard drive in that machine?

11. Papa Sil

Papa Sil Privileged User

At this time, yes. I have several spare hard drives sitting on a shelf, however.

I just started another format. I'm close to 50% now. I hope this works this time.

Would the jumper on the back of the hard drive make any sort of difference here? Especially since I have only one drive set up? I have it on master right now...

Obviously I'm just trying to think of anything :p

12. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

On an XP boot disc, it will first check to see if there's an OS there. If there is, you have to hit a key to actually boot the CD. If you don't, it goes to the next boot device (floppy or Hard Drive, depending on the BIOS). If there is no OS, then it boots to the setup screen.

13. Papa Sil

Papa Sil Privileged User

Yes, I know that. That is why I am posting this thread.
    I have formatted the drive multiple times aleady VIA the Windows CD. Like usual, after the format, Windows loads its itintial system files and then reboots...

Well its here thelat the problems lies. After the reboot, it boots to CD no matter what. I have the hard drive set to firtlst boot with no luck.

14. Papa Sil

Papa Sil Privileged User

Ahh!! I just formatted the drive again and its doing the same. Damn. Thing! :madfawk:

15. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Try booting to a Linux live CD and wipe the drive that way. Then go back to the Windows install CD and try again. That's what solved my problems when the same thing happened to me.

16. Papa Sil

Papa Sil Privileged User

Is there any alternative to that? I don't have a linux CD, a CD burner, nor do I feel like driving anywhere right now :o

17. Papa Sil

Papa Sil Privileged User

Well I buckled. I grabbed another HDD off my shelf, installed it. Just got done formating it and now its loading Windows just fine

I mean what the fuck, right? :hs: