Problems with self-built computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 6Double5321, Jan 21, 2004.

1. 6Double5321

6Double5321 Into the blue again, after the money's gone

I just finished putting together my new computer and installed WinXP Pro cleanly, but ran into a few problems.

I am running a single WD800JB hard drive, and set up a 10GB partition on which to install Windows, but the rest of the hard drive does not show up anywhere. I know that only the 10GB partition was formatted, but I can't figure out how to format the rest of the drive.

I heard no startup sound from Windows when it opened, but I did hear the ASUS POST reporter voice (mobo is A7N8X Deluxe rev 2), so I know the speakers are hooked up correctly. Control Panel says no audio device is installed. I have no idea why the hell the onboard 5.1 audio would not work.

Finally, the processor is supposed to be an Athlon XP 2500+ running at 1.83 GHz, but under the My Computer -> Properties screen, it is shown as a 1900+ running at 1.46 GHz.

I know I didn't format the hard drive properly, but what would cause the audio issue, and how does one get back into the BIOS if one has possibly gotten a little crazy trying to overclock the machine? :hs:

2. MattIROC

MattIROC has a semi nice av. changed due to rules :(

you have to create another partition for the other 70 gb, and format it.

on your sound, you need to install the drivers. go into control panel, system, and right click on your sound (where a "!" is) right click, update driver.. put your driver CD in and let it find it.

processor wise, sounds like you need to change a jumper for the FSB which is located on the mobo. It should be in your instruction booklet somewhere...

If you have any friends that live near by that know anything about computers, I'd let them help you on the jumpers.

3. affende

affende Guest

^^^^^^^^i agree^^^^^^^^^^^^

you have tohe same mobo as i......there is a jumpe beside the North Bridge (the only chip on the board with a HS and no Fan)...get out your manual to find it and set it correctly....go buy Partition Magic, its my favorite to formate the rest of your HDD, but be careful not to formatt that origional 10 gigs or ...yeah...and you need to install all the driver disks that you have....i know the mobo has one, vidcard prob has one, ...

goodluck, you can hit me up on aim if you want, i know a little about teh computars

4. 6Double5321

6Double5321 Into the blue again, after the money's gone

Okay...i found the nForce driver disk, and installed that. Audio works fine now. :o :uh:

Fixed the processor problem; ratcheted the speed up to about 2.14 GHz with no problems. :coold:

Now all I've got to do is get back my 66 GB of unformatted space. :hs:

5. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

RE: Hard Drive

Rightclick My Computer, Left Click Manage, Left Click Disk Management

In this screen you'll see Unpartitioned volumes, simply right-click on them and you'll have the option to do whatever you need to do with them.