problems with pioneer cd changer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by unrealii, Aug 19, 2003.

1. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

The dealer my dad bought his maxima from screwed him over and installed an rf cd changer instead of an oem unit. The rf cd changer is a pioneer CDX-FM1257. It worked great for 2 years, then it stopped working, it would not power up. I took it in to have it repaired 6 months ago and the shop replaced an IC chip and it worked like new. Then a month ago, the changer control would suddently flash on and off. Finally, it stopped working all together. Does anyone have the diagrams to take this thing appart? I dont want to pay the shop that repaired it $40 just to take out 12 cds.

After I get the lid off, I can't go any further because the entire unit is held up by a suspension system. So far I do not see a way to seperate the unit from the suspension system rather than unscrew every scew that I see.

2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

get out the screw driver

3. unrealii

Thank you Captain! :hs: :o

4. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i jsut went to the grage i sued to have an old one laying around i was goan give you but some one cleaned the grage and threw it out but if you want a kenwood one id make you a deal

5. unrealii

Thanks for the offer, but I found out a local dealer is clearancing out their oem changers at $150 including wiring and installation kits. If my dad still wants a cd changer, I'll tell him to get that.

6. unrealii

finally sat down, and looked carefully at the suspension system. Apparently the suspension system easily seperates from the changer, so I took it out and got the cds free.

I tested the 2 main ribbon wires and they seem fine. The problem with the changer is that the rf display would flicker on and off, then finally the changer would not turn on and eject the mag. From those syntoms, it seems it would be caused by a loose wire. Anyone have any suggestions of what to check?