Problems with my MacBookPro

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Creator, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Creator

Creator The Creator Has a Master Plan

I bought a macbookpro in the begining of june so it is still pretty new. I use it a lot, keep it on a lot, i use it as primary computer so it gets a lot of use. But from day one ive had problems with it.

THe main problem is this fucker is SLOW. I have 1 gig of ram, 100gig HD and the dual core 2ghz processor. This thing should be fast as all hell. But it's not. Even when i have just a few things - word, safari, email and itunes open it will be sluggish, sticky, unresponsive. Ill min. a window and it will take a second, shit like that. Its just sticky. It so fucking annoying. I have 40 gigs of free space so its not like ive filled it up with shit. It feel like i got a porsche 911 with a boxter engine. Sometimes a restart will make it better, but still not as it should be. So I don't know.

Another problem is that Safari is being a jerk with its cache and pasword storing. Some sites i use a lot (like OT) will not autoappear in the address bar, but a site i havent been to in weeks will. This is annoying. It seems like it empties out the last 30 sites but keeps all the old ones and i cant imageine thats a feature. What gives there?

It will also 'forget' stored passwords which is a further pain in my ass.

This all makes me mad since i have been a PC person for so long. I was excited to switch, and in most ways i am happy. But for 2600 bucks a windows machine would NOT be laggin like my macbookpro is.

2. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

1) Up the ram to two gigs.

2) Did you get the 5400 rpm drive? If so, upgrading to 7200 rpm drive would make a difference too.

3. Euclid

Euclid New Member

Try running Activity Monitor in /Applications/Utilities to see if some process is hogging resources. I have a neat program called GeekTool which displays some system logs and uptime and stuff on the background, but every few weeks it will just go haywire and eat up all of the CPU / Memory. I didn't discover that it was the culprit until I saw it with Activity Monitor.

I don't have any advice on how to fix Safari... But there are other good web browsers out there. :hs:

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

1) Upgrade to 2GB RAM. This is just... required for multi-tasking in OS X on a Macbook Pro. I wish I could get 4GB. I run out. Look for some Kingston Value RAM of the appropriate specification. Its not very expensive.

2) Firefox. Try it.

A faster drive is only going to improve your launch speeds, which you have not complained about. I have a 5400 and have more apps than you, and speed is not an issue. Its the RAM. Get more RAM and you will be happy, I promise.

Also, if you never reboot it will eventually slow down. Reboot weekly.

5. Creator

I reboot at least weekly.

An example of how bad this is - its like running windows 98 on a 486. Anyone remember how fucking painful that was? I will go to a website and safari will do that spinning cursor thing for like a minute, just sitting there. I should NOT need 2 friggen gigs of ram to do this shit. Its horse shit if i need 2gigs of ram and 7200 rpm hard drive to have the macbook perform at an acceptable level. That means that you need to leave the apple store spending 3 grand on the damn thing... How much is it going to cost me to get up to 2 gigs of ram on this fucker? I got it from the apple store with 1 gig.

6. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

Have you tried a reformat?

7. Creator

Fuck that man. Ive had this comp for 4 months.

8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Tried choosing "better performance" from the power menu?

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Safari freezes because Safari has issues. I can't use Safari because it hangs like you describe. Solution: get firefox. Seriously. www.getfirefox.com See if your performance problems don't immediately improve. DO THIS FIRST.

YOU DO NOT NEED A NEW HARD DRIVE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. That was terrible advice.

Try firefox, and then we can talk about RAM.

10. dirteemac

:squint:

11. Creator

I was using firefox when i first got it then all the mac people on here said NOT to use firefix wtfbbq

12. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

safari doesnt give me any issues. performs without hiccups day in day out. no hangs, no crashes, nada.

web browsers are all personal preference, i would reformat as suggested earlier. you can reformat without losing your data. its called an archive and install.

13. slfmade

slfmade New Member

i dont know who all these mac people on here are that you talked to but use firefox, ive been using it since it was first released and its just the best

14. dirteemac

Safari works fine for me.

15. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

16. Creator

17. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

REPAIR PERMISSIONS!

RESET SAFARI!

18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Who gives a shit what they say? They also told you to get a new hard drive. :greddy:

Try firefox and report back to us.

19. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

yeah do this first

20. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

:werd: and its a memory hog.

21. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You fucking nitwits. Quit bickering. If firefox fixes the problem then its safari, and not his computer. Its a diagnostic tool.

God dammit you people are stupid.

22. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

1. You do not minimize windows in OSX. Use expose. Look it up in mac help on the finder. You will be amazed at how convenient this feature is.

2. Safari eats tons of ram if you do not periodically empty the cache. I personally use Camino on my PB, but I don't know how well it works with the intel machines.

23. dirteemac

Dude, are you ok?

24. dirteemac

Hey I was just throwing out ideas buddy, jesus christ you act like I told him to buy a new monitor or office chair or something.

25. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Sorry, I'm pissed at my computer for other reasons and I took it out on yous guys.

My point is that you need to try another browser to see if the browser is the problem. Therefore go to www.getfirefox.com and download firefox, try it, and see if you have the same problems. If your problem is fixed, then it was Safari. Which is a good thing to know.

This isn't about browser wars. I don't care what browser he uses. But try another one and see how it does.

In general, multi-tasking on a Macbook Pro requires 2GB of RAM. One application + the OS often takes up 1GB. So the long term fix is probably getting another gig of RAM. Can someone link him to somewhere that he can buy RAM from?