Problems with my computer v.timetoupgradeanyway

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kingtoad, Jul 31, 2009.

1. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I've been out of the hardware scene for a long time so I'm wondering if any of you can help me. These should have been two separate posts but I'll attempt to tackle them both in one.

First, problem with my computer.

Windows freezes, I reboot back into Windows, freezes again. Computer is now no longer detecting any peripherals (mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc), however... My computer still powers up and everything in my machine LOOKS functional. What could be the issue?

Second, I've had this computer for four years now and it's struggling with a lot of new games. I figure it's probably time to upgrade anyway. So if I'm looking to buy a new computer, what should I be looking for? I've built all my machines in the past but I'm not sure if I have the skill to tune them for performance anymore. Maybe with your assistance I'll be able to. Build me a computer for gaming. :hs:

Although I do plan on purchasing a new computer, I would like to fix my current computer and use it for something else.

halp.

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Would it make sense to buy a machine from places like Falcon Northwest or Digitalstorm instead?

3. caddymac

caddymac New Member

Shock and awe. Format the hard drive and start fresh.

Backup your files first though. If you are having that many problems, may be best to put the hard drive in an external case and connect it to another computer to get the files.

4. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

No.

5. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

Format that bitch.

6. SPPaintball

SPPaintball New Member

Like everyone else said, reformat. If your shit still doesn't work, it could be a motherboard issue.

If you want us to look for a new computer, we'll need a budget.

7. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Well, when my computer starts, my computer no longer detects any of my peripherals. Keyboard, monitor, etc. When I press the "on" button on my PC. The computer starts, but nothing else. Blank screen, no keyboard, nothing.

Budget for new PC around $2k

8. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I was actually thinking it may be a motherboard issue because of my peripherals. I was going to try to boot into safe mode and see if I can run chkdsk but it won't even get to that point now. :o

9. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

Does it post? Where are you getting errors?
    Oh, and $2,000 will get you a ridiculous gaming rig. :eek3d:

10. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Yeah, I think it's going to POST, but I can't visually see it since it's not kicking in my monitor.

As far as my $2k well spent, do you think I should build something myself again? Or have someone custom build it?

I was looking at the Digital Storm computers and they seem pretty sick.

11. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

Post up some of what you are looking at, so we can tell you if you could do better for less.

12. Bitter Moose

Bitter Moose OT Supporter

Build it yourself. If you're capable there's no reason not to. That said, I can understand if someone really wanted the warranty of a boutique computer. The only problem is you're paying out the ass for it. Here's a quick newegg build. Sorry, no links. You could easily shave a few hundred dollars off from this build to accommodate a new monitor etc. Like get a GTX285, only 6GB of memory etc.
    [​IMG]

13. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/

Intel Core i7 920 Processor
    Overclocked to 3.33GHz
    Includes CPU Liquid Cooling
    6GB DDR3 System Memory
    Intel X58 Chipset Motherboard
    NVIDIA GTX 285 Video Card
    750W Silent Power Supply
    1TB Western Digital HDD

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsavedsd.asp?id=292409

Was even toggling the idea of

Intel Core i7 950 Processor
    Overclocked to 3.80GHz
    Includes CPU Liquid Cooling
    6GB DDR3 System Memory
    Intel X58 Chipset Motherboard
    NVIDIA GTX 295 Video Card
    750W Silent Power Supply
    1TB Western Digital HDD

For 2.3k

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsavedsd.asp?id=292413

:dunno:

14. SeeVinceRun

I wouldnt pay the 300-500 premium for someone else to put it together.

Edit- but they are very nice.

15. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I can built mine again if I really want to. I'm on the fence about it though. I also don't think I'll be able to fine tune my hardware like they could.

16. SeeVinceRun

Just went on newegg and built one real fast that mimicks the 2300 dollar one you listed for under 1600. i7 920, not 950. And you can get the 920 for 199 at microcenter, make it even cheaper. It can hit the same speeds.

I also upped it to a 850watt PSU. Just because :)

17. SeeVinceRun

I understand. Its nice to have a overclocked cpu with warrenty, but thats a lot of money that could go towards something else. Like a SSD and 12gb ram.

18. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Maybe I'll build an equivalent build of the system at newegg then and see what I come up with.

Building computers is such a pain though. :sad2:

19. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

A bit of an update... I've tested all my components. It is a motherboard issue. Odd, since my motherboard still turns on and computer sounds like it's powering up. Maybe it's an issue with my FSB?

Either way, I think I'm definitely looking to get another computer.

20. awns729

awns729 New Member

They're not going to do anything you can't. Not sure about the places specifically, but if you're talking about overclocking and they actually OC it for you, it's nothing you can't Google. Although that would take a little bit of time. If you're talking about the actual quality of building, then you can definitely match them there. I'm no expert by any means, but a few tips:

1) Google/Youtube a computer build, there are some nice gaming rigs out there
    2) for 2k, your marginal cost might be greater than your marginal benefit. You might be better off buying a good mobo that can support future upgrades, but not THE fastest proc, THE most possible ram, or THE fastest GPU. Buy midrange and upgrade two-three years down the road. You'll spend less overall.
    3) When it comes to installing parts properly, there are instructions with most important things. You might want to use artic silver as the thermal paste and wrap the wires around nicely, and install some nice fans and what not, and then test the airflow. This is all part of the fun of DIY. I'm sure you can do as good a job as anyone with a little effort. Remember to discharge yourself of static electricity. IMHO, there's not much to a build, especially if you've done it before. You'll get up to speed quick.
    4) When it comes to OCing, you might not be able to do it as well as the pros, but if you pick a popular mobo/cpu combo and high performance ram, you can find someone who has instructions for the exact same setup. If OCing is important to you, find popular mobos on Newegg and look up how people OCed them and what other components they used - buy the same/very similar setup. Personally, 5-10% increase in clock speeds doesn't equate to that much of a performance increase, and thats usually what you should expect with OCing. So paying a few hundred for a professionally OCed computer is just not worth it. Especially since you're going with high end parts, you'll notice the difference even less. It's, IMO, smarter to buy midrange, and save say $500-800 for future upgrades when today's high end is tomorrow's midrange.

If you calculate % increase in clock speed (when looking at processors, for example). 2 ghz vs 2.5 ghz is a 25% performance boost (but this doesn't mean your entire system is 25% faster!!!), and is only worth it if the price increase is <= 25% of the 2 ghz proc.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009