Problems with Home Stereo

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by white lightnin, Apr 19, 2005.

1. white lightnin

white lightnin New Member

Well my dad became an audio fanatic, dropping multiple thousands on a kick ass home system. In the process I enherited his old stereo. It is a Carver amp 130x2.

Anyways, he had it cleaned at a rather good audio shop here in town, but I have not been able to get it to work reliably. Basically, the audio goes in and out, and the display freezes when it is on the radio channels.

I think my connections could be the cause, but I dont understand how it goes from working to not when i dont even touch anything.:sadwavey: help

2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

The display shouldn't be affected by erroneous connections. If the audio is going in and out then that sounds like a loose connection internally or maybe a more serious problem. I am not familiar with that particular amp, but unless it is worth a lot of money I doubt it is worth repairing.

Out of curiosity, what does your dad's new setup consist of?

3. white lightnin

The amp is pretty decent, so I think I will try to go get it fixed.

He has a lot of components that are very new to me, in that I didnt know that it could get that complicated. He has a system with a vaccuum tube amp, pre amp, turn table, cd player etc... Conrad Johnson and McIntosh are some names I remember...

4. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

With names like that, it sounds nice, and expensive lol. Any pictures would be appreciated.

5. white lightnin

Yeah, it is his current obsession. He loves to talk to me about it, although I zone out after about 5 minutes of the explanation of some new device he wants to buy. I will grab a few pics if I go to his house tonight.

I did a bit of research on the unit I have, and have realized that it is simply known as "The Receiver". It is an older piece, as the copyright in the manual is 1983. I also looked on ebay and saw that used ones were going for 100-200, and being a college student I can't afford a pricey new receiver.

I think I will look into cleaning it myself and see how that works out.