problems with dlink wireless card

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JaxForum, Feb 27, 2006.

1. JaxForum

JaxForum New Member

So I'm trying to install a d-link ag530 wireless card into a computer in my living room. I have a dlink wireless router currently install on the pc in my bedroom. So I'm following the dlink install instructions. I put the cd in and install some driver software (atleast I think? This is where my pc has problems?). It installs everything and says to reboot computer. So I shut it down and put in the card into the pci slot.

Restart the computer. It pops up saying "found new hardware". In the found new hardware window it says a problem has occurred during installation. When I click Finish it just keeps popping up the same window.

Unistalled everything and reinstalled everything (even in a differentpci slot). Still have same problem.

Called dlink support and they were worthless because they just read off of a sheet with bogus responses to your questions. Not to mention I couldnt understand anything they were saying.

I think there is a problem installing the drivers from the cd. When I try to reinstall the driver it will start to transfer files, but about after 1 or 2 files it will come up with the "error during install" window.

I tried downloading the driver off the internet onto a usb memory stick. But I couldnt figure out how to install that onto the computer.

Any suggestions?

2. U Think U Know

U Think U Know OT Supporter

Uninstall the software and remove the PCI card.

Download the appropriate driver for your operating system from here: http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DWL-AG530#

It will be in .ZIP format, if you are on XP then it should open right up as a compressed folder. If you are on something other than XP then you'll have to get winrar or winzip first.

Inside the .ZIP file there is a folder called "Drivers" and a program called setup. Create a new folder called "DWL-AG530" on your C:\ drive and move both the "Drivers" folder and the setup program to the "DWL-AG530" folder on your C:\ drive.

Now reinstall the PCI card and reboot, when "Found New Hardware" pops up again, select the option to choose your own drivers and then point it to "C:\DWL-AG530\Drivers\". It should find the correct driver and install itself.

3. JaxForum

JaxForum New Member

thank you... will give it a try when I get home from work.