Problems installing Vista v.11tybillion

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Hezkezl, May 18, 2007.

1. Hezkezl

Hezkezl Rawr! OT Supporter

So, I've been running XP Pro just fine for almost a year now, and then I decided to upgrade to Vista. While trying to install, it will just randomly lock up. Sometimes in the middle of the install, sometimes towards the end when I pick a username/password. The whole story is, I have yet to have a successful install of Vista on this computer. I'd like some help diagnosing what the problem is, as Vista was semi-spendy :hs: $200-something.

XP Pro has absolutely no issues with running (except once in awhile it will lock up, but I believe that's related to my 320gb hdd starting to die). Vista, I could never get completely installed. I tried installing it to 4 different HDD's, all with the same issue, so it's making me believe there's a severe incompatibility issue somewhere else.

My Specs: AMD FX-55, MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum, EVGA 8800GTS, 2gb of some corsair ram (can find out specifics if need be) Western Digital 3200JD-22KLBO (320gb) hdd, and two Samsung HD501LJ (500gb) hdd's

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

why do people want vista? It's so shitty.

run seatools, memtest86, and prime95.

3. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Problem is computer, not Vista.

4. Hezkezl

The snazzy connectivity between my 360 and the Home Premium version would be fun :o

Not to mention, I'm a sucker for eye candy :hsd:

Downloading and running all of the suggestions :o

5. conduit

conduit sup

hmm have u tried copying the cd to a harddrive, than installing it off the harddrive, instead from the cd?

6. Hezkezl

Not yet, but I have made a copy of the CD into an iso, and then burned the ISO to another cd entirely, and ran it from that.

The odd thing is, I ran the beta just fine on almost this exact same setup. I just had a different cpu, a 3700+ instead of the FX-55 I have now. And, I guess, a 7900GT instead of an 8800GTS :mamoru: But yeah. I've never had this kind of problem with any software before, let alone an entire operating system.

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Go to the microsoft site and download and run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

DirectX 10 makes your 360 obsolete anyway. :dunno:

9. Hezkezl

Did so, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the hardware. A couple of software programs, such as my MUD client, it said might not work on Vista, but other than that, it passed.

True on that too :mamoru:

Just got done running prime 95's stress test for 11 hours, nothing bad happened. The seatools worked fine on the two seagate hdds, it wouldn't even work for the WD hdd :mamoru: :run: Haven't had a chance to run the memtest yet, but yeah, so far, everything is checking out :hs:

10. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Try updating your motherboard's BIOS. I've seen older BIOSs cause major headaches when installing a new OS.

Jolly, what's your problem with Vista? Did it steal your lunch money as a child or something?

11. Hezkezl

Hrm, I'll give that a try. Thanks :wiggle:

12. Hezkezl

Nope, new BIOS update didn't do anything :hs:

13. Hezkezl

Well, I installed Vista, using my hdd plugged into another computer, and it went in completely fine. The other computer has the same type of ram, I used my HDD, so the only difference is mobo/CPU. (in fact, it's my original ram that I had in when I started trying to install vista. I switched my stepbrother ram sticks, thinking that may have been the problem, but it wasn't) It installed just fine, and ran with no hiccups. When I moved it over to this computer, (the hdd that is) it ran fine for a bit, then froze. I switched my 8800GTS out for his 7900GT, and it ran fine for a while there too. Then I downloaded the drivers for the 8800 and installed, then switched cards back. Now it's still locking up, though semi-less frequently.

I think it's some incompatibility with my mobo. I googled for some stuff, and found that a couple of other people with MSI mobos are having similar troubles :hs:

14. Hezkezl

Ok, wtf.

I overclocked my FX-55 to 2.99 ghz, and I haven't frozen yet :wtf:

15. Hezkezl

Only thing I can think of, is somehow my CPU wasn't getting enough power with the default mobo settings, which is weird. Anywho, I've tried lots of stuff to try and freeze it, but no luck yet. Thanks for the suggestions everybody, I'm sure they all helped :wiggle:

16. Paulblo

Paulblo OT Supporter

so you upped the voltage?

17. Hezkezl

Yeah. That, plus raised the clock speed of it from 2.6 to 2.99 ghz. Here in a few, before I goto sleep, I'm going to reboot and drop the speed, but keep the voltage up. I think that'll be a better fix than having the higher clock speed :o

Is it a bit weird that this is the cure to my problem? :dunno: I've NEVER run into this before :o

18. Hezkezl

Well, I just tried removing the clock speed and keeping the voltate, but it froze on login :eek3: Looks like I'll have a semi-perma overclocked cpu :o :run:

19. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'm confused. Is this a "help me with Vista" thread, or a "help me with overclocking" thread?

20. Hezkezl

It's a 'help me discover why my computer is freezing during an install of Vista'. The solution, turned out to be overclocking my cpu for some really weird reason. On its stock clock, 2.6ghz, my fx-55 freezes while running vista. XP, it's fine with, but Vista doesn't like it. So, I have to overclock my processor a bit to get it stable within Vista.

I guess I don't really need this thread anymore, as I'm running stable in Vista right now. Though I would like to know why the solution is overclocking... :o :dunno:

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I think the answer to your problem is one of the many issues with AMD chipsets that cause them to be considerably less reliable than Intel chipsets.

And is a perfect demonstrating why I recommend Intel.