Problems installing a X1900 XTX

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by General Dissary, Sep 1, 2006.

1. General Dissary

General Dissary New Member

Today I got a Saphire X1900 XTX videocard I had been saving up for, so I plug it in and boot up my pc but I get all these weird beeps, the screen is blank but I can hear the card's fan whirling and can feel it's exaust.

I know the usual suspect is the power supply but I have a 535 watt psu and I thought it could handle my new card. It has been working fine with my old 7800 GT.

I dunno if I got a dead card or if I need a new psu, any ideas gentlemen?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Does the new card have a secondary power connector? Did you plug a power cable into it?

3. General Dissary

No the only power connector was a squarish 6 pin connector that goes into the big 4 pin ones.

There are 2 plugs for the cord to the monitor and another for HDTV or something, but no external cords or anything.

4. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Stop. Right. There.

Look at your power supply and follow all the cords. Do you have a squarish connector you are not using that is only 4 pins?
    If so unplug the 6 pin connector and put that 4 pin in that space.

Most new (all maybe?) mobo's take an extra 4 pin powersupply connector on the board ontop of the normal power supply plug. On my board I accidently plugged the 6 pin connector into the 4 pin port. It wouldn't boot or give a video signal. When I put the 4 pin connector in the 4 pin port I got a video signal. Therefore there is a difference in the 4 pin and the 6 pin connectors. The 6 pin is for a 6 pin port and the 4 pin is for the 4 pin port.

Also, there maybe a secondary power connector on the back end (the inside of the case) of the video card. It could either be a MOLEX connector (large 12/24 volt connector used as the power connector on hard drives) or a small BERG connector (the small also 12/24 volt connector used on floppy drives). If there is one there then the card will not power up withing it being plugged in.

If all else fails, reset the bios jumper to clear out the bios and start from there. You are a long way from declaring the card defective.

5. General Dissary

I tried most of the cords, but I got tired of messing with it and dont want to break anything so I dropped it off to get checked out. I am begining to think its my psu after all.

I have a Enermax EG565P 535 Watt Power Supply but I am finding out these cards need something like 38 amps on the 12v rail. So assuming I get my pc back and they tell me the same I guess I am in the market for a psu with those specs. Any sugestions?

6. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I still don't believe that you have issues with the PSU or the card... yet.

Whenever I start working with a new mobo there is always a period of tearing out my hair I have to go through. It is like, there is always SOMETHING. A fair amount of the time it works out that I have followed all the directions (well at least I thought I have), I have plugged everything in properly and I power on for the first time.
    If it is my first time with that mobo then 9 out of 10 times I get... nothing. Maybe fans, maybe not fans. Definetly no video signal.
    My heart sinks. Cause my next problem is figuring out wether it is a defective product or a defictive user (me).

Check out this problem I had in the beginning of the summertime.
    My PC devoloped a problem where it went from being rock solid stable to being prone to crashing - hard to the bios. At first it started with me playing a video game for longer then say 10 minutes. Crash to the bios.
    Eventually the crashing to the bios began corrupting files. This caused blue screenage during regular useage.
    I was stumped. I tried all of the useual suspects. I started out with rebuilding the OS. That solved the Blue screens for a time, but did nothing for my games. I did what I could with new parts.
    Eventually I had a problem. In order to go to the next step I would need to start buying parts starting at my chief suspect (video card) and working backwards. My issue was that the last time I did this I was without a girlfriend, the only person the approve the finances was me. She is handling my finances cause I am bad with that.
    I was against a wall, how do you explain to someone that you need to haphazardly purchase parts for something and you can't show evidence that piece was broken?
    Well, I got my excuse one day during a thunderstorm. A pole got hit and the electricity turned on and off inside our apartment something like 7 times in 10 seconds.
    I wasn't quick enough to get to the PC before the incident was over.

I told my girlfriend that it had fried the mobo, video card and CPU.

$400 later I had a new mobo, CPU, memory and video card.
    You would think my problems would be resolved?
    Guess again.
    This time I figured it out, boy did I feel dumb.

Our tiny apartment had a problem. Not enough 3 prong (grounded) outlets to go around. Where I wanted to put my PC there were not ANY grounded outlets at all. I had to drag an orange extension cable from the closest grounded outlet about 15 feet to the computer. I had EVERYTHING running on that one extension cord.

I sat back and looked at the room and figured out a way to get fully half the stuff off that orange cord. I also upgraded the power strip.
    In doing so half of my computer stuff is on one circuit and the other half on another. A great many of my problems dissapeared.
    To this day I don't know the status of the defects on that old mobo, video card and CPU.

When you get your CPU home try distributing the cords a bit more. See if that helps. If your Power supply isn't getting the proper juice it needs from the wall it can cause weird problems.

Also when you get your PC back check out that 6-pin/4-pin thing on your own. I am not confident that someone else is going to catch it. They might, but they might not.

If you become truly, truly stuck go to the closest computer store and buy the most expensive power supply they have. Should cost about $120 or so. Drop that in. If that helps then RETURN the power supply to the store and get it for a lot less by buying it on the net. (or keep it) If it doesn't help then it is time to pick up the phone and call the help desk for the video card.

By the way, I looked at your cards website and I can't find any evidence the video card has a molex or a berg adapter on it.
    That means it is getting all it's juice off the motherboard.

7. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

8. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Look at the cord on the right side of the picture. It is a molex to 4-pin adapter.
    That is what you are looking for and apparently on that PSU you have it is a seperate cord from all the rest. You have to sacrifice a molex plug for it.
    Also, I saw in another picture that you have not one but 2 6-pin plugs that ARE coming directly out of the back of the PSU. It is of little wonder that you got confused and plugged the 6 pin into the 4 pin slot.

Like I said, I have done the same thing.

9. General Dissary

Thanks all! I will definatley try those things out.

10. deusexaethera

There is not a snowball's chance in hell that your video card needs 450watts. If your computer is really built up, it's possible that it's using more than 535watts total, but any video card will be a small fraction of that. Even the CPU doesn't use more than 70 watts or so.

11. deusexaethera

After reading Stilgar's long-ass post (could ya include Cliffs next time?), I now wonder if your video card is pulling more electricity through the motherboard than the motherboard can safely supply. It's not un-heard-of, and while PCI-Express is supposed to be capable of providing more power than AGP, that doesn't mean the motherboard can distribute that much power without shutting itself off.

Are there any secondary power connectors on your motherboard that haven't been plugged in? They're not optional, you know.

12. General Dissary

Ok I got my pc back from the shop and turns out I didnt install it right. Its a huge card, and I didnt want to snap anything so I guess I was being too gentle with it.

But murphy's law strikes again and now this time I am having audio probs. When I turned it on, I was hearing stuff, then after a few minutes some program kept popping up about my speakers being conected or something. Honestly, I dont know what the hell I did after but all I know is that I started uninstalling and reinstalling audio drivers once my audio went. K now I dont know what the hell to do.

I have a ASUS A8n-sli deluxe mobo, I tried installing all the new realtek ac'97 drivers and all that but I still cant hear shit, and when I try to play my music my playlist gets highlighted orange with an exclamation point next to it like they arent being recognized.

When I go to device manager I cant see any drivers for any of the audio devices listed.

I dont want to take it in again, and I know its probably something simple that I deleted or fucked up, so I would appreciate any help u guys could give me.

13. deusexaethera

I wouldn't be surprised if the guys at the shop arranged for that to happen; after all, you see, computers are a lot like cars -- when one thing doesn't work right, it can make other things not work right, and the only way to keep the problem from getting worse is to pay me $2000 to rebuild the engine.

(grin)

System Restore is your friend. Restore the computer to the day before you installed the new video card, and then install the video drivers again. That should eliminate whatever caused the audio to go haywire, unless the hardware is failing.

14. Clarity

Clarity New Member

My X1900XTX most DEFINATELY is using 4 pin power.

15. General Dissary

The 1st thing I tried was system restore but it says it was unable to restore yada yada something.