Problems formatting Toshiba laptop "no hard disk found"

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Toahk, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Toahk

Toahk Power User

I have a toshiba a200 core 2 laptop that came with vista... bottom line is that it sucks and i want to put xp pro on this laptop. When I boot to the windows cd and select format and install xp it gives the error "no hard disk found" I think I need to format before putting in the xp disk, how do I do this without a floppy drive?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you need to load the hdd controller driver, which would be difficult to do without a floppy. You'll have to slipstream the install -- which is waaaaay over your head.

I'd say pay a small computer shop to do it for you, prolly cost $50.

The way I'd do it, personally, is to take the drive out, put it in a desktop, get XP loaded, load some drivers, and call it a day.

But if you had gotten a decent system to begin with, you'd like vista. You bought a toshiba, so obviously this is not the case -- but live and learn for next time.

3. d_98se

d_98se New Member

On IBM thinkpads its as simple as changing the sata mode in the bios so that a non ibm image can be loaded to it. Look thru the bios and see whether you have this option.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Correct - pretty sure the Toshba has the same functionality.

Although the Slipstream install isn't that hard at all - just follow the directions with nLite.