Problems connecting to the Internet....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SooprmanX, May 9, 2005.

1. SooprmanX

SooprmanX New Member

Ok here is a quick run down, one of my customers has a DSL connection with a small switch on the connection where 6 computers connect to the Internet. They have a static IP address range. Anyways, the modem lost all it's configuration so none of the computers could connect to the Internet. I went out and reconfigured the modem and all the computers now work except for one.
    Let me go into detail about that one computer....It is a Windows XP machine and was working fine before this. If I go into the command prompt I can release my IP address then renew it with no problem. I can also be n the command prompt and type in "ping www.yahoo.com" and it resolves the name to the IP address and gets replies. However, Internet Explorer does not recognize an Internet conection and cannot browse the Internet. I also cannot browse My Network Places. I thought maybe it was the application but I reinstalled Internet Explorer and that did not fix the problem. I thought maybe it was the operating system so I restarted the computer with Linux and Linux still could not recognize and Internet connection. I am out of answers for this problem. I have no idea what is wrong. 127.0.0.1 pings fine, the patch cables have been replaced, the cables have been tested, the NIC is getting an IP address, it is resolving names to IP address in the command prompt, I am out of things to do! Please help!

2. Cassie1225

Cassie1225 New Member

Being that you tried two different OS's, I would lean toward replacing the NIC, even though it's working to a certain extent. Let's say the issue with Linux is seperate, I would try installing another browser, try surfing via windows explorer, or go to 66.156.53.61 and download the winsock fix file at the bottom. Open the application and click to "fix it" then confirm the fix.

I work for an ISP, I have to deal with this stuff all the time. That's a test machine I have running a web server, that site has useful tools that I have up for the customers. If you need help or to let me know that worked, email me at [email protected].

Todd

3. SooprmanX

SooprmanX New Member

I forgot to reply that I did fix the problem. I just ended up doing a system restore to like a month ago and it works fine now. I dont know what happened to it but it works fine now.