Problem with wireless router

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by quzur, Dec 6, 2005.

1. quzur

quzur Active Member

I have a Linksys WRT54G router. I continue to lose a connection on both my laptop and my wired desktop about 2-3 days after getting the connection to work again. Usually, I will unplug it for a while and plug it back in and try for a connection. Sometimes it work sometimes it doesnt. Other times I just leave it alone and come back later and it will work. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? It's very annoying.

I have a motorola modem and comcast connection

2. carpet muncher

carpet muncher New Member

have you tried doing a release/renew from the router's config site? I ask because my netgear does something very similar. this will make the connection a little easier to reinstate and you can do it from your comp.

3. samm

samm Next in Line

are you losing a connection from your router to the modem, or from your laptop to the router?

4. DSMTuning

DSMTuning New Member

if your losing your connection on the wired desktop theres definately something wrong... could it be the cablemodem??? if its definately the router bring it back!!! dont even waste your time with the settings... if worse comes to worse walmart will always take it back :mamoru: they'll take anything

5. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

My friend's did this all the time. Used to piss me off more than him because he'd always call me asking about it.

6. quzur

quzur Active Member

Yes, it does not fix the problem.

Internet connection from both the wireless laptop and wired desktop. I can connect to the network from the laptop but there is no internet connection.

Did anything fix the problem?

I have heard similar problems from other people. They said that when they enabled WEP things like this would happen. I have WEP enabled. When they disabled WEP they would not have any problems. I live in a condo and do not want to leave the connection wide open.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I think your router is overheating. Try setting up a little desk fan to blow air on it. Just make sure the fan isn't going to set the house on fire if IT overheats.

8. quzur

quzur Active Member

Not sure if this is a serious reply or not but it has nothing to do with overheating.

9. Gimik

Gimik New Member

You have the latest firmware? That usually fixes a lot of problems.

At the times that this is happening, are you losing connection to your modem? Is your modem connected to the WAN? (WAN light) Can you ping your DNS servers? Can you get a new DHCP address? Are URLs resolving?

10. deusexaethera

It is a serious reply and it may have something to do with overheating. That's what was wrong with mine. It's been fine since I cut a hole in the case and attached a CPU fan to it.

11. Javi

Javi New Member

Check the cable from the cable modem to the router. I know it sounds asinine, but it COULD be that the cable is going bad. It happens from time to time.

12. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

lol, good idea.

13. quzur

quzur Active Member

I tried downloading the latest firmware but could not find where it was saved on to my system. It didn't give me an optoin to save.

I don't think I am losing the connection to the modem. Sometimes when it goes out I will connect the desktop back straight to the modem and it works.

Yes, its connected to the WAN and the light is on. Not sure how to ping DNS server...get a new DHCP...or sure about the URLs resolving. How do I do these?

14. torunforever

torunforever New Member

So you haven't upgraded to the latest firmware. Do that first, then start playing with all the other settings.

If you're having trouble with the firmware upgrade, try reading this Linksys support article - Upgrading the Firmware on a WRT54G Router

15. chips

chips ...

DIsable UPNP inside the router.

16. deusexaethera

Make sure to take the top of the case off before you cut the hole. If you don't, I will laugh in a cold and disturbing manner when you chop the circuit board in two.

17. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Make sure to get the new firmware. This is always the first thing you should do when you get a new router.

Get the DHCP addresses from the router status page. That's also where you release and renew your router IP address. There's a release button and a renew button on the Linksys routers. Click release and wait for it to finish, then click renew.

Ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to ping your DNS server.

Ping www.google.com or something to make sure it resolves an IP address (this will make sure your DNS servers are working). If it says unable to resolve a host, there's a problem either connecting to your DNS (tested by trying to ping your DNS server) or there is a problem with your DNS server (they arent resolving correctly, or you have a bad DHCP DNS address - these are resolved by your provider).

18. tonyk

tonyk New Member

i had the same problem and returned it. after doing some googling, i found out the latest wrt54g models are crap. the latest are "version 5" which is based on vxworks, and the older ones used linux. well there are alot of problems with them and tons of people are returning them for an older version. if you see "cdfb" in your serial code, you have a v5. i was fucking furious :run:

http://wrt54g.net/

read the reviews on amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B00007KDVI/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/002-5405574-7940802?%5Fencoding=UTF8&customer-reviews.sort%5Fby=-SubmissionDate&n=507846

19. tonyk

tonyk New Member

i just remembered, i was looking through a few forums where people have called tech support and even they said to return it. good fucking job, linksys!

20. quzur

quzur Active Member

I do have v.5 and even with the new firmware the same thing happens. I think it's getting worse too.

If I can't get an older unit what is another manufactuer to get?

21. synthetic

synthetic New Member

hmm im having trouble with my dlink always losing conneciton on lan side (wired)

22. deusexaethera

I'm serious, it could very well be a heat problem. Those little boxes have no ventilation and they get pretty durn hot when there's a lot of traffic that needs directing.

23. tonyk

tonyk New Member

well linksys relabeled their v4 as a "wrt54gl" [L standing for linux] and bumped up the price. i just ordered the wrt54gl and i actually paid more for my crappy regular wrt54g than the gl. i honestly never even had a wireless router before so i dont know how great a v4 is, but from what i've read it's supposed to actually WORK. i'll reply in this thread about how the product is when i get it so you'll know ahead of time.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=202046565&loc=101&sp=1

free shipping if you pick the slowest form of shipping from them