Problem with Wireless Range Extender (Linksys WRE54G)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fitz, May 21, 2007.

1. fitz

fitz .

Hi, tried to set up a wireless range extender so I can actually use my laptop upstairs in my house.

I can't get the wireless range extender to work. Basically you just hit the auto configuration button both lights turn blue and you're good to go, but not for me.

Whenever I get both lights to turn blue and it's supposedly working I get an error message saying " there is an ip address conflict with another system on the network" and the internet stops working :wtc:

Maybe my computers have 3 different IP's or all have the same IP? I have no idea what it means.

I have:
    2 desktop computers and 1 laptop
    all using windows XP
    D-Link wireless router
    Linksys Wireless expander WRE54g
    Verizon FiOS ISP
    :dunno:

thanks if anybody has any idea what's up :hsd:

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

IP addresses are basically like internet phone numbers. Private IP addresses -- the kind you get when you plug into a router -- are like extensions, because outside your house there's only a single IP address for all the computers plugged into the router. The router's job is to know which computer to send each packet of incoming data to. Hence, if two computers have the same private IP address, the router isn't going to know where to send data coming in from the internet, and from your perspective the internet "stops working".

To fix it, right-click on the wireless network icon next to the clock and select "Repair" from the popup menu. Unless something isn't working right, your computer should disconnect, then reconnect, then get a new IP address that isn't already in use, then do a bunch of other stuff that isn't important right now.

3. fitz

fitz .

I gave this a shot but it still didn't work. That same IP error message kept popping up :wtc:

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Maybe your range extender has an IP address, too. If it came with a USB cable and an install disc, plug it into your computer and install the software and look for a way to change the IP address (again, only if the extender has one) so it won't conflict.