Problem with USB optical mouse

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Runescaper, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Runescaper

Runescaper Guest

I recently re-formatted my computer just to get rid of all the junk that had piled up through the years. After re-installing Windows XP I started having issues with my mouse. It will be working fine and then, all of a sudden, the cursor will just stop responding to my movements. It appears to be random. Sometimes it will happen immediately after Windows boots, other times it will happen 15 - 30 minutes after boot.

I've checked the device manager and there are no reported conflicts. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the mouse drivers. I've tried installing different mouse drivers. I tried uninstalling/re-installing the "USB Enhanced Host Controller". I even went through the whole reformat/install OS process again with no luck. When I connect other mice they have the same problem so I don't think it's a problem with the mouse itself. Connecting the mouse to a different USB port doesn't help either. All my other USB devices appear to be working correctly and I have installed all available updates from windows update.

Once in a while, I'll notice that Windows is very slow to start up. Usually it will take maybe 2-5 minutes to boot completely but other times it gets stuck at the "starting Windows" screen with the blue progress bar. I'm not sure if this would have anything to do with the mouse or not.

I'm all out of ideas on what could be causing the problem and how I could fix it. Any ideas?

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

If you have the same issues with other wireless mice, it's probably something in your surroundings causing the problem.

Do you have any other wireless devices near the mouse or receiver? Cordless phones? How far is the mouse sitting from the receiver?

3. Runescaper

Runescaper Guest

The mouse is connected directly to a USB port, it's not wireless. Also, it was working fine before the reformat. I haven't added or removed any of the other devices connected to my computer so the setup is exactly the same as before the format. :dunno: