problem with usb hard drive.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by j_nx, Feb 28, 2006.

1. j_nx

j_nx master of the universe!

Hi,

I have this usb harddrive, it used to work when i directly plugged it into my usb ports on the computer. now it'll only work if i plug it into a hub *but* the hub is plugged into the computer...

so it won't work when plugged into the computer, but it will work when plugged into a hub thats plugged into the computer. i tried this with every port and it only works through the hub, but it used to work fine directly to the computer....

I tried reinstalled my usb drivers, i have a dfi lanparty ultra b rev 2 and i downloaded the nvidia drivers, they didn't do anything.

also, i set my usb ports as bootable, and the same thing happens. it'll try to boot off the external hd when i plug it in to the hub. but it won't try to boot when i directly plug it in to the computer. so, i don't think reinstalling windows will do anything.... and my usb ports aren't broken because everything else i have that's usb works. and it also works off a hub that i plug into those ports.....

so what gives? i'm totally stumped.

2. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

Is it a powered hub?

3. j_nx

no power cord, but it does have a spot for a 5v connector.

i have a universal power adapter type thingy. and it has 4.5v and 6v. i tried both. neither worked directly to the mobo.

4. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Sounds like your pc usb ports arent powering the drive correctly, if at all. The usb hub, most of which are powered seperately, is able to provide the necessary power... which is why the HD works when plugged in there.

If need be, try the usb HD into another usb2.0-equipped computer (even a friend's if possible) and see what happens.

5. j_nx

the usb hd works fine on another computer. it's just having problems with this computer.

so if the usb ports aren't powering the drive properly. what can i do about that? it is psu related?

also, it didn't work when i plugged in the hd directly to the mobo with a universal power adapter to the 5v connector on the hd.

and i also get a lot of cache write delay failed when i write to the hd on the hub, but reading works fine.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006