Problem with tree sap

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Morgan06, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I've got a Dodge dually RV tow rig I was working on today, covered in tree sap so bad that I wish I took before/after pics. APC, DX330, Iso- all we're able to remove the sap from the paint with some elbow grease. Clay didn't do shit.

But I've got half a dozen dime sized splotches on each rubber window trim; same for the black plastic windshield cowl and mirrors. If it was a few light dots I'd throw caution to the wind and just go to town or leave it as is, but I want to use something that won't stain/discolor the plastics and rubber. Any ideas?

It's the rough/orange peel trim and not the smooth/shiny/polish-able plastic; and the window trim is the gummy rubber that loses color with solvents. FML.

I'm hesitant to even use the APC with the age of the sap on the plastics fearing that I'm going to screw it up because it's super bonded. The sap is roughly a year old, from somewhere between Minnesota and Pennsylvania. It's not standard New England pine sap, not crusty, still gooey underneath top layer and bottom is rock hard stuck to the paint- never seen it before in my life.

2. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Goo gone should work

3. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

It might work on the hard plastics, but doesn't Goo Gone melt rubber?

4. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Some types of rubber, yeah. Maybe try some 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner? That stuff usually works well for me....

5. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

You know the gummy window trim I'm talking about right? This is on a newish Ram, but it reminds me of the 2000+ Blazer/Jimmy trim. That kind that would turn your rag black if you touched it with a solvent.

6. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Any other ideas? I'm going back early tomorrow AM, have most products in the van and practically anything else I can pick up on the way.

If I can't find something that safely removes the sap from the rubber/plastic trim, wWill give them the 'I can try a more aggressive approach, but it may replace one problem with another' speech before I try anything else. Will take pics and post.

So far will try Goo Gone on the hard plastics, 3M Adhesive on the rubber. Think I've used the latter to remove window visor tape residue- so it might work. :dunno:

7. quamen

quamen New Member

hmm since it is on the rubbers, that might be a ruff one. I still feel the quickest and most effective way probably would be using a strong solvent, then rubbing some back to black, or black renew on he rubbers. I have don't plenty of cars with sap on them, but typically only on the paint.

8. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Yup.... I believe it's also the same stuff they also used on Trailblazers and Envoys for a while. I have never had a problem using the 3M stuff on that trim, and I've owned/worked on quite literally a crap-ton of GMT-360s over the past 8 years.

However, I do usually have to dye them with forever black since they fade to gray even from just sitting in the sun for a while....

9. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Meguiars has a paint safe solvent in their detailer line, that might work.

10. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Winrar.

I checked the MSDS on 3M adhesive and it's essentially the same composition as PPG DX330, so I gave what I had on hand a shot. Worked surprisingly well, didn't noticeably stain the window trim either which may be due to the lack of Xylene/Xylol in PPG it as compared to 3M. :dunno: Might be an alternative to look into. Spent 5+ hours on a Ram- exterior only no polishing, fuck that truck. If I told you what I charged you'd think I was crazy.

The hard plastics seemed to have deeper etching than the paint, which I thought was weird. DX330 didn't discolor them so much as they just needed to be 'neutralized' with a thorough APC cleaning afterward. Couldn't clean the sap from the vinyl tonneau cover without removing the dye.

120+ dime and nickel sized sap spots. Fuck. That. Truck.