TAT Problem with tattoo location

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by changeyez, Oct 27, 2009.

1. changeyez

changeyez New Member

I know it is ultimate my decision, and I will be the one living with my choice... but I am having a hard time deciding on where to get my first tattoo. I want it somewhere that I can cover it if need be (I am a guy).

I am going to get a celtic brotherhood knot
    http://www.luckyfish.com/images/tattoo-portfolio/triangle-celtic-knot-tattoo-brothers.jpg
    and am debating between the following locations:
    1. upper arm/shoulder
    2. shoulder blade
    3. back of calf

I want it to be something that I can see, which pretty much rules out the shoulder blade. Someone has told me that the calf is "gay", not that I really care since the tattoo is for me and not other people (I'm not gay either).

Any input and reasoning is more than welcome!
    Thanks.

2. Bill The Butcher

Bill The Butcher Active Member

The only way a tattoo on your calf is gay is if the tattoo is gay. Whoever told you that doesn't know shit.

3. wokkawokkawokka

wokkawokkawokka New Member

I've given up trying to convince people to stop using off the wall flash that every other sheep has...

If you want it cause it looks cool, go for upper arm

If there's meaning behind getting this over used, off the wall flash, then go inside of the left bicep- easy to cover/hide and always close to your heart

4. changeyez

changeyez New Member

I've just always liked celtic knots and my younger brother (I'm 28, he's 18) is in rehab out of state and I haven't seen him in almost a year. It may be another 6 months before I get to see him again. I've always said I would never get a tattoo because there was nothing I wanted badly enough, and then all of this happened. I want it for the design and the symbolism of brotherhood and the interconnectedness of the brothers and the ties to the family.

I have no idea if my brother would get one to match, nor do I expect/care if he does. The tattoo is for me... as a reminder of him and what he means to me/the family.

When he was court ordered to rehab, I gave him a shamrock charm thing, and i had one of my own. It always reminded me of him since I can't contact him. Unfortunately, mine broke and I decided to replace it with a tattoo.

I am also going to ask the artist to draw something combining both the celtic knotwork and a shamrock to see what he/she comes up with.

5. wokkawokkawokka

wokkawokkawokka New Member

much better.

give the artist the knot and the shamrock and let him run with it, you'll end up with something custom, suited to your situ and not just another piece of flash everyone else has

One more thing, take your time looking for an artist, ask to see portfolios etc. before making your choice

6. audrey

audrey New Member

Are you planning on getting some bigger tattoos in the future? The way I see it is that I wouldn't want to put something small in an area that could potentially be used for something bigger. So don't put it on your back if you think you might want a back piece in the future or your arm if you might want a sleeve etc. Don't ruin good real estate!!!

7. changeyez

changeyez New Member

I know I won't do a sleeve. I love the way they look, but for the job I have and type I will likely always have, it won't work. As for the shoulder blade, yeah... i want to be able to see it too. I'm leaning towards the back of my calf right now.

8. audrey

audrey New Member

I work in a corporate job so I just don't tattoo past my elbows. Easy!

9. changeyez

changeyez New Member

true. half-sleeves rock too.

and how come people keep saying that when they see a guy with a calf tattoo they instantly think "gay" or "douchebag".

10. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

cause they're idiots

11. changeyez

changeyez New Member

that's my though too. idiots and close-minded.

12. audrey

audrey New Member

I don't know anyone that thinks that. I know a lot of straight guys with calf tattoos and I don't know I know a lot of gay guys but none of them have calf tattoos.

These people you're talking about are the douchebags.

13. LOtown

LOtown Active Member

:dunno:

I just got a tattoo on my calf and I couldn't be happier with it.

14. matt86

matt86 New Member

Someone's always gonna bitch about someone elses tattoo. Personally, I wouldn't get one there because I think it'd hurt like hell :mamoru: