problem with subwoofer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by james330i, Dec 9, 2005.

1. james330i

james330i Imported Redneck

hey guys,

my current setup consists of one 12" IDMAX V2 2OHM DVC sub in a sealed enclosure powered by a PPI PC2200 giving the sub about 800 watts RMS.

I've had this for about 3 years now and it has always hit hard, deep and heavy. With pop and rock, bass was tight and clear. With rap and bass songs, the bass had force and hit fairly deep...not an ounce of "boominess"

However, sometime last week, my setup just seemed to have lost it's "depth". Pop/rock songs still sound the way they used to, but with rap songs, the sub just can't handle deep notes like it used to and I don't feel the bass pressure as much. It's become rather boomy with songs that it used to be able to play at much higher levels.

So, does a sub just go bad all of a sudden? And if it is the sub, why is it still hitting pretty tight and clear with pop songs? Can a sub just lose its ability to handle ultra-deep bass but still handle higher bass notes well?? How would i be able to determine if it is the sub? Did one voice coil go bad?

Or is it the box? Would an air leak cause this?

any advice would be great!

2. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

An air leak can certainly cause a loss of output down low...though that's easy to check for. If you're losing that much output, you'd hear all sorts of noise if you listened to the box while knocking it.

It is possible for a sub to 'wear out'...if you drive it with lots of power (which you are..though IDMAX's are beasts) you can damage the voice coil windings which will change the impedance...and that in turn will alter low frequency response well before it stops functioning. Being a max though...I'm not inclined to go this route.

My first instinct is to say you probably acidentally jacked around with some setting...like your q-bass :p

3. james330i

james330i Imported Redneck

thanks for the tip.

from inside the car, the boominess is not as bad but when opened up the trunk and listened to it from there, the sub is very boomy and very "clanky"

4. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Clanky huh? Not a description you should be giving a subwoofer. :hs:
    Are you refering to noise...like a slapping or cracking sound coming from the sub? Are you sure this is coming from the driver and not something else rattling? If it is, it's not a spectacular sign. Best case, it's probably tinsel lead slap that you really can't get rid of..other than not drive it as hard (if max's have them...they might be in the spider, I don't know). Otherwise, it's probably a sign of something wrong with the motor. One of my Boston 12.5's has a little bit of noise from inside the motor when driven hard really low...I need to get it in for repair. (you can hear it from the pole vent when it's not loaded...as in, not in a box)

Speaking of which..try running tones to it with it outside a box...quietly at first. If it has tinsel leads, you'll see them smacking the underside of the cone if they are. If it's something else, you'll probably hear it out the pole vent like I do with mine.

PSA: Drivers in general, but especially subs, handle FAR less power without a proper enclosure...don't slam it outside the box unless you want to buy a new one. Start low and go up until you hear whatever you're hearing.

Happy hunting.