Problem with printer cartridges

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cp225, Aug 5, 2006.

1. cp225

cp225 New Member

I was just printing something out when I noticed the ink wasn't coming out right. The ink began fading and some pages had horizontal blank streaks crossing evertything out. This screenshot gives an example of what the problem looks like:

[​IMG]

One thing to note: this is only a problem with the black ink; color prints perfectly fine.

I tried the 'clean' option presented in the above dialog box, and also the 'prime' option. Neither helped.

Does anyone know what the problem is? Did the ink dry out or something :confused: Is there some way to fix this and prevent it from happening again?

... I had something like this happen before to both the black and color cartridges about a year ago, and was only able to solve that by completely replacing the cartridges.

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Sounds like aftermarket cartridges.

They don't always play well with printers.

3. cp225

cp225 New Member

I'm not familiar with that term... They're the same brand as the printer (HP) and were bought new.

The first time this happened about a year ago was with both a printer and cartridges of a different brand (Compaq). Do they just dry out after a while if they're not used regularly, because both times I hadn't used the printer in a while (about a month)?

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Does ink dry out if it sits around too long? I'm sure you know the answer to this.

Pop the black cartridge out and wipe the nozzle with a damp paper towel a couple of times. Then dab it with a dry paper towel to get the water off. Then reinstall and run a cartridge-cleaning operation. If it still doesn't work, there's something wrong with the nozzle and the cartridge will need to be replaced.

5. Schproda

Schproda New Member

It could be dried up cartridges or just need the nozzles cleaned on the carriage.

6. cp225

cp225 New Member

Okay, thanks all for the help.

Well, cleaning the nozzle didn't help, but on closer inspection of the inside of my printer I discovered that a bunch of the black ink had leaked out of the cartridge and sludged up right under where the cartridge is positioned when not printing (you know how it slides out from the side when it does print? well that's where). Here's a photo:

[​IMG]

I'm gonna try to scrape all that gunk out and see if that helps.

... I have no idea how the hell that happened.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  7. Schproda

Schproda New Member

HINT: Ink refills and 3rd party cartridges = SHIT and will avoid the warranty on many new printers.