Problem with PC I just built. HELP!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Williamea, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Williamea

Williamea Polk High #33

I’m having a problem with a PC I built last night.

1st let me list what I’m working with.

Mobo – Asus P4P800 E Deluxe

SATA HDD – Seagate 80gig

IDE HDD – WD 120gig

DVD Drive

WinXP Pro SP1

I had the Sata Drive plugged into the Sata 1 port.

I had the IDE HDD and DVD Drive plugged into the Primary IDE Controller set as Master/Slave.

I am Install XP onto the Sata drive. That will be my primary drive.

The install seemed to work fine. The only odd thing was that it only allowed me to use NTFS, no option for Fat32.

Once Windows was booted it was fine for about 1-2 min then the screen would blur, it looked like desktop and icons were smeared, and the system hard locked. I would have to power Off/ON.

At first I thought it was a heat issue but I ruled that out after checking fans and the XP Install was fine.

I had been running this same setup for about 2 weeks minus the Sata drive. I took the old IDE drive I was using and hooked it up. It still had the Old XP image and it booted and performed fine.

I reconnected the Sata drive in its place and same issue.

I then moved the 120gig and DVD from Primary IDE to the Secondary IDE Controller and the system seemed fine. It ran for about 20 min and I was able to install a couple of apps.

Now I did not install any drivers and have not done any of the Windows updates.

Anyone have any ideas as to why the Sata drive seems to be locking up with the other drives plugged into the Primary IDE Controller?

Oh sorry about the long post.

2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

first things first. don't put slow devices like the dvd drive on the same controller with fast devices like the ata hard drive. put the hard drive on the primary controller and the dvd on the secondary controller then you might want to try a different s-ata controller driver.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Sounds like the MB may be fucked. I use a similar model and never had any problems with my SATA drive from day 1. How did you set up your IDE configuration in the BIOS?

4. Williamea

Williamea Polk High #33

I do remeber that the WD120gig was showing as Primary Master, the DVD as Primary Slave and the Sata as 3rd master. The Sata was set as the primary HDD in the BIOS and the boot order went Floppy, DVD, Sata

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

There's also an IDE configuration in there - take a look