Problem with my registry editor

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GlocksRock, Sep 8, 2003.

1. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Whenever I open regedit, it closes itslef a couple seconds after it opens. Any idea what could be causing this, and how do I remedy the situation? I am running XP Pro.

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Hmmm, anybody around you have agood install of XP? Try copying their regedit.exe from their computer to yours.

Maybe try to find one of those programs that scans the registry too. Maybe there is something wrong with it that is killing the program.

3. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

try the 32 bit version? :dunno:

regedt32.exe

4. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I will try that, I didn't know there was such a thing.

I will copy the regedit file from our other pc and see it that helps.

I did run Nortons Windoctor and that did fix some problems, but it didn't solve the problem of the program closing.

Even if the problem is in the registry itself, how can I fix it when it constantly closes on me?

5. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Ok, I guess if the problem is in the registry, and I can find it, I could fix it with the 32 bit version, assuming it won't close on me as well.

6. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

it's a virus. i don't remember the name though, sorry.

basically, it just constantly searches the current running apps for specific names, and shuts them down if they're on the list (NAV is on the list as well.)

some guy in the office got it, and it was hilarious watching him try to open regedit and click on things super-fast before it closed. regedt32.exe is NOT affected, so you can use this to clean the virus.

sorry that i can't be of more help. you can try this thread maybe? http://forums.techguy.org/t155029/s8624198d6643aa6f79cb465f05f01ec3.html

7. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I scanned my whole computer for viruses too, and it didn't find it. I have Trend Micro's PC Cillin.

8. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

try running "msconfig". if the same thing happens (it closes after a few seconds) then it's definately that virus.

9. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I will look into this more when I get home later, thanks for the help guys, I will let you know the outcome when I have some time to figure this out.

10. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Msconfig and services.msc didn't close, just regedit.
    :wtf:
    My pc is a Dell and it is still under warranty, along with the express tech support. Do you think if I call them, they would be able to help me? Also I didn't run spybot or adaware yet, is it possible one of those programs might solve the problem?

11. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

ok regedt32 closes on its own as well. I am about to be pissed off severly.

12. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Ok, I fixed it. Although, I must say I am a bit upset with trend micro. I have kept my AV program up to date always, and I went to their site and ran the online AV program. It said it found and cleaned a virus, but didn't tell me what files were infected, or it just didn't find the files that were. So I ran the online AV program from symantec, it was much slower, but it found the 2 files on my computer that were infected. It turns out I had a program called Winmos.exe loading at startup that was infected, and some other file in my C:\recylcer\nprotect directory that was infected with the Backdoor.Mosuck virus. This virus seems to be at least a year old, my PC isn't that old, how come my AV program didn't find or fix this, but the online program found it right away?

Thanks for your help guys. It is nice to see that people are willing to give others a hand when they need it. If I can do something for y'all, just PM me.

13. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Norton AV>*

14. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

:werd: Too bad they're using product activation with 2004 :down: