Problem with my rear foglight.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by deusexaethera, Sep 6, 2006.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I installed the ECS rear foglight kit on my Passat. The foglight itself works, but the rear foglight indicator on the Euro-spec headlight switch doesn't turn green the way the front foglight indicator does.

Also, I can't turn on the foglights without turning on the main headlights, but the literature says I should be able to use the Euro-spec headlight switch to turn the foglights on while the switch is in the parking-light position.

This may not be a problem, I don't know. What I want to know is whether anybody knows about something else I'm supposed to connect, besides just the single wire that runs from the headlight switch to the rear foglight.

In short: is this expected behavior, or did I do something wrong?

2. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

I'm not 100% positive, but if it is the same switch as mk4 Golf/Jetta/GTIs, then there is no green LED in the rear fog icon. The European switch I bought for my GTI didn't at least, what I did was solder an LED into the switch at the correct location on the circuit board, so it will switch to the green LED when turned on.

On my stock switch, I couldn't put my fogs on without the headlights, but with the European switch, it gave me a parking/city light position, in which I can use my front and rear fogs. But I can't have just the fogs on, I have to have at least the parking lights on.

3. deusexaethera

I have the European switch as well, presumably the same one you had. I can't turn on the foglights without turning the lowbeams on first -- no parking light/foglight combo for me.

Did you have to connect any extra wires or change any fuses to get the fogs to come on with the rotator in the parking light position? I can pull the rotator straight out in that position, so that I should see the fogs come on, but they don't.

I do have foglights, front and rear, for the record. This isn't a problem with me thinking that a new switch will magically install extra lightbulbs in my car.

- - -

Interesting side note: the literature for the Euro switch said that my daylamps wouldn't come on anymore, but they still do. All I have to do is let off the parking brake, and the daylamps flick on just like they used to; I can't shut them off. Is this evidence of further wiring changes that I would need to make?

4. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

So you have an aftermarket Euro-switch then?

No, I didn't have to run any sort of wires or install any fuses to get them to come on in the parking light position. It worked fine upon installation of teh new switch. (I did have to run wiring and install the rear fog light, as the GTIs don't have them installed from the factory).

Also, I had to modify the switch in order to get the daytime running lights to not come on in the off and parking light positions. There is a pin where the harness plugs into, that is labelled "TFL". You can either bend the pin back, or cover it with tape, which will disable your daytime running lights.

5. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

This is all assuming the Passat and GTI switches are the same..

6. deusexaethera

I don't mind having the DRLs on, as they get me an insurance discount and they don't look nearly so pansy-ish as they did ten years ago.

Do you know if you used to be able to turn the fogs on in with the rotator in the Parking light position before you disabled the DRLs?

7. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

Yes, i was able to turn them on with the DRLs still enabled.

8. deusexaethera

Dammit...what year was your car? Maybe there's some difference between my 1998.5 Passat and whatever car you had. I know the installation instructions told me to splice the rear foglight wire into the existing contact in the wiring plug, but mine didn't have a contact there yet, so I just put the rear foglight wire into the empty socket.

(I call it a 1998.5 because it has a weird mix of 1998 and 1999 parts on it.)

9. Mint Berry Crunch

Mint Berry Crunch Active Member

Why do you want the rear fog light?

10. deusexaethera

It makes the left rear corner of the car more visible to people passing me in shitty weather.

Either way, the main problem I was trying to solve is that I have to turn the headlights on in order to use the foglights. The whole point of foglights is that you use them in place of headlights when it's foggy during the daytime, because the headlights will reflect off the fog and make it hard to see. I thought the euro-spec headlight switch would solve this problem, and indeed it has worked for other people, but for me it doesn't do what I need it to.

11. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

My GTI is a 2001. Have you posted this on vwvortex? Sorry I can't be of more help. Mine worke dout of the box, so I'm out of ideas..

12. deusexaethera

Thanks, I'll check there.