Problem with my fan

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mandrew, May 30, 2009.

1. mandrew

mandrew New Member

I've tried researching this but couldn't find specific enough information. Any time I play a video game on my computer (TF2, etc) for the last week my fan gets really loud. Not as in operating at a higher RPM rate or anything, but like something is wrong with it. If I had to describe the noise, I'd say it sounds like an idling diesel truck-- very low kind of grumble almost as if it's slipping or something every time the fan turns. This sounds really awful I know, but I slapped the front of my comp a couple times and it makes the noise go away for a few minutes before it starts back up again.

All I'm curious about is if there's a simple way to fix this issue or if I need to replace the fan, and if so, whether or not replacing it is something that a noob can do. I'm sure it's not the fan on my videocard too because this is way too loud and I can tell it's coming from the main fan.

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Most likely the bearing is shot. Replacing a fan is pretty simple. You just have to order the correct size.
    It either snaps into place, or it screws in place with 4 short philips screws.

3. mandrew

mandrew New Member

I'll try it out. Thanks.