Problem with my Dell 2001FP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dwight Schrute, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute New Member

Well, I just got my Dell 2001FP LCD yesterday and I have a few gripes about it.

First, there's a number of dead/stuck sub-pixels, although I can't notice them unless I set my wallpaper to a uniform color and get real close to the screen and look for them.

Second, I can't seem to get the panel to stay parallel to my desk. I think it's a problem with the stand, because if I take the panel off the stand and lay it upright on my desk, it's fine. I know the panel rotates clockwise, but when I rotate it all the way counter-clockwise back to its normal position, it's not quite level and parallel with my desk. Has anyone had this problem with their 2001FP?

What is Dell's exchange policy? Can I get an exchange for another LCD based on these problems? Will they ship me a new one before I send back the old one?

Here are a few pics of the panel not being level:

DESK:

[​IMG]

TOP OF LCD:

[​IMG]

2. nietsni3

nietsni3 Guest

maybe you have to talk to them... although those problems are very minor, it is a pain in the ass to KNOW that they exist. my lcd has a very small and dim dead pixel at the very corner. i still cant believe how i found out its existence, but ever since i cant live a peaceful day if i look at my lcd :big grin: .... human are just cranky, they want things to be perfect.....

speaking of which, i heard that it is very hard to get an absolutely no dead pixel 2001FP because the amount of pixels it has (1200 x1600 = 1920000 pixels). three or four, or even 10 dead pixels over 2 mil live one is not a bad ratio, actually. dont waste your time exchanging for no dead pixel since you may just be wasting your money + time over shipping costs. you should be happy with under 8 dead pixels

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2004
  3. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute New Member

Yeah the problems are very minor, I know I could live with them. The reason I noticed the panel wasn't level with my desk is because I have a bulletin board mounted on my wall right behind the monitor, and I noticed the top of the LCD wasn't parallel with the bottom of the bulletin board.

God I'm anal...

4. nietsni3

nietsni3 Guest

dont worry, bro. we all LCD owners are :x: , especially geeks. nobody wanna pay $600-$700 for a defected one, no matter what it is :big grin:

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

call dell and see what they say. My gut feeling is they'll tell you to politely go screw yourself, but it's worth a try.

6. nietsni3

nietsni3 Guest

woohoo, i got my 2001fp today. so perfect, no dead pixels, not even dim ones (at least "so far"). i dont know if i shall pick out a couple ones while using it or not, but upto this point,i am extremely happy. now you have to pay me double or at least 1.5 of what i paid in order to part me from this beauty :big grin:.
    omg, this thread spermed into my head the idea of measuring the balance of the monitor:ugh: like you did. no god damn it i dont wanna do it:x: .

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

The problem with the stand seems to be a common one from the LCDs I've seen. They're often not quite level.

8. nietsni3

nietsni3 Guest

hum, the stand of my 2001fp not working i think. at first i thought it was too high and pushed it down to the lowest height. however realizing taht height is too low for screen's rotation, i tried to pull it back to the original height. but it didnt go. i am still trying to do it. i dont wanna pul it too hard cuz i may break it. the user manual doesnt show how to do it either. any idea? and also, when i press the lock button at the bottom of the stand, it has no feedback (it just stay at where i push it to, and doesnt bounce back). is that the way that button is made or is it flawed?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2004
  9. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Well I got two Viewsonic VP201, which is basically the same as the Dell, same panel.

Out of the 5 brand new ones that I took home, only 2 of them were sticky pixal free.

After about a month or so. One of them got two deal pixal, I think two green ones are dead on one of them. Another one is still good.

So, yes, it's pretty hard to get a perfect copy of the display.

But I can live with the minor issues, all I needed to do is abuse the refund/exchange policy at Staples. Oh and 3200*1600 is awesome...

10. nietsni3

nietsni3 Guest

wat??? 3200 x 1600?

11. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Maybe he means 3200x1200, like two 1600x1200's used together (that's what I have).

12. nietsni3

nietsni3 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2004