Problem with my Counter-Strike, but more of a comp question.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Axespeed, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Axespeed

Axespeed It's only after we've lost everything, that we're OT Supporter

I just got a Dell XPS 410 yesterday with the Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1 GB memory and everything is good.

I installed HL-2, UT2003, and CS.
    Everything works crystal clear except my CS. When i load it an Error box pops up. I looked up FAQ on forums and they say it is a common error but hard to fix but there is a difference between the common error people get and what i get.

My error pops up and reads-

The instruction at "0x0#####" referred memory at "OxO#####". The memory could not be "written". Click Ok to terminate.

That is mine, but the common error i found on the FAQ says the memory cannot be "read" rather then "written".

Does anyone know what this means?
    I ran several system scans and fully scanned my memory unit. Still no clue. Called Dell support system, they have no clue either.
    What could it be?

Also if i understood what the message meant, like the difference between "read" and "written" in terms of the memory...then maybe i could figure out the problem. But i have no clue.. help!

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Yes, it means:
    The instruction at "0x0#####" referred memory at "OxO#####". The memory could not be "written".

Bad memory module, bad drivers loaded, etc.

Read and writes...hmmmm....you really don't know?

If you write something to memory, you take it from a register and place it in RAM to save it for later use. If you read something from memory, you read it from RAM and put it into a register for current use.

The source code for your game is closed. It's highly unlikely that you will be able to find a fix yourself.....you should work with tech support for the game to resolve the issue.

3. Axespeed

Axespeed It's only after we've lost everything, that we're OT Supporter

What exactly do you mean the source code is closed?

And i don't think it had anything to do with the memory module being bad because i just got it the mail, so i ran a memory scan in the boot devices menu to check it they installed a bad deformed memory unit and everything passed. Also it's not like i have several modules running.

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

You can't see the source code. It's a game and games are 99% of the time closed. Your issues are most likely do to some programming issue and you need to work with the game developers to resolve it.

Perhaps your memory is not bad but there is a conflict with the program and the memory. Unless you are a programmer and have access to the code of the game, it's highly unlikely you'll be able to solve the issue.

There could be configuration settings that you could change but I'm pretty sure the game developers forums would be a faster place to get answers.