Problem with laptop keyboard

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Aequitas, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Hey guy,

Recently my laptop's keyboard started acting funny. Whenever I type an "a", "sa" show's up. The same is true for most of the keys on the left side. Tab turns on capslock, ctrl works for shift. Whenever I plug in a different keyboard it works fine, any ideas how to fix it?

If I hsadn't gone basck sand edited thsat psarasgrsaph it qwould hsave looked like thias. ASee wqhast I measn?

TIA. :wavey:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

dell? toshiba?

probably new keyboard time. ebay often has them cheap.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I got a new keyboard for my old Thinkpad for about $12 on eBay. It's not a significant purchase, though you do need to know how to remove the old one without breaking anything. There's usually some screws on the underside that hold it in place, as well as either a strip of plastic just below the screen, or else the keyboard slides towards the screen and snaps out once the screws are removed.

4. Aequitas

It's an old Dell 2200, man, three years old now. I'd love to just get a new laptop, but graduate tuition is going to be a kick in the nuts come fall. I'll check out ebay and see what they have.

5. deusexaethera

Don't give me that. I've got a Gateway from 1999 that I use to read my car's engine computer, and the Thinkpad I mentioned is from 2002.

Get the keyboard. You'll keep that machine for a lot longer than you think, if you're a technical type at all, because there is always something you can use an old laptop for.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Have you considered the possibility you're just getting fat?

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have an old-school Dell Latitude P3-550MHz on the workbench in my garage. I use it to bring up technical documents and do research when working on dirty things in the garage where going in the house would be impractical. I don't really care if teh keyboard gets dirty or greasy.

Just last weekend it was very helpful when I used it to track down a schematic and parts list for the carburetor on my tractor's 16.5hp kohler motor. :mamoru:

8. deusexaethera

HAH! You do own a Dell!

Your tractor's motor is made by a faucet company?

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I've never denied not owning one. I've even pointed out that I DO in a few threads. That doesn't change the fact that their new machines are fucking shitty.

It really confused me at first. But from my research it looks like it's a great motor. I would have expected like a briggs and stratton motor, but from the parts shops I've talked to they all said that Kohler makes awesome motors.

10. Aequitas

Yeah, I'm going to order one from ebay and just replace it. The laptop does everything I need it to so an ugrade isn't really necessary. I'm not as knowledgable as I'd like to be when it comes to building computers, but no better time to learn.

No, I'm not fat.:rofl:

11. Aequitas

Thanks a lot for the help. Installed the new keyboard two minutes ago and it's working fine.