SRS Problem with former employer

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by t-t-t-today, Dec 10, 2008.

1. t-t-t-today

t-t-t-today New Member

I used to be a tow truck driver. I damaged 2 customers vehicles by complete accident. The owner of the towing company decided 2 months later that he is going to take money out of my paychecks to cover the costs of the damage. Since I do not feel obligated to pay for that damage, I told him that unless he gives me my money back, I can't continue working for him. He wouldn't return my money and also said that he was going to take money out of my next few paychecks until the costs were completely covered. So, I finished out the day and didn't come back. This happened May 18th, 2008.

After I quit that job, I started an internet business. I sank all of my money into that business but it never took off so I was broke. I have been trying to get a job for a few months now and haven't been able to get hired. So, I filed for unemployment insurance.

Fast forward to today. I found out that my claim for unemployment insurance was denied because the owner of the towing company said I voluntarily quit without any substantial cause. I told the department of unemployment security EXACTLY what happened between us but they still denied my claim. So, now I have the option of filing an appeal and I would have to face my old boss at my hearing, which is something that I don't want to do.

The reason that I don't want to do that is because overall he was a good boss to me. He gave me that job when I was desperate for work, even though I had no experience and I was underage to drive his trucks. So the way I see it, he did me a big favor. Even though I disagree with him making me pay for those damage costs, I'm not pissed at him or anything. I was getting tired of that dirty job and was actually kind of looking for an excuse to quit, and this incident was my out.

I could use the money from unemployment, but I don't absolutely need it. Am I looking at this the wrong way? Should I face him and screw him over at the appeal hearing?

2. Deadhead9150

Deadhead9150 Banned

You did voluntarily quit so I don't think you'll win an appeal. Maybe I'm wrong and there are circumstances where you can quit and still get it but I'm pretty sure there aren't.

3. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

:hsugh:

well this is the reason they denied your claim, you shouldn't get unemployment for quitting your job

4. 7960

7960 New Member

My opinion, you quit so you shouldn't have even put the claim in.

5. vipergts24

vipergts24 New Member

You crash into customer's cars, expect your boss to pay for it (because god forbid you take responsibility for your actions), fail at your business so you expect tax payers to pay for your unemployment? Get the fuck out hobo, the economy is doing shitty and we don't need shitheads like you making it worse.

6. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

:bowrofl:

lurker ftw

7. t-t-t-today

t-t-t-today New Member

He has insurance to pay for those kinds of things. He even told me that he is making me pay for it because he doesn't want his insurance rates to go up. So i'm working my ass off 7 days a week, I bring in $3500 a month. Yet my paycheck is only $400 a week. Then when i break something I am supposed to pay the full amount? First off it is his business, not mine. If he is going to make his employees pay the full amount when they damage something, then they should keep the full amount of the money that they bring in.

Would you continue to work for someone when they tell you that they are going to illegally withold hundreds of dollars out of your next few paychecks? I didn't think so.

8. Deadhead9150

Deadhead9150 Banned

But you're here bitching about not getting unemployment. You quit your job you don't get unemployment it really is that simple. I have to say though you're pretty dumb to have quit your job because i'm sure 30 people applied to take your place. Good luck finding another job.:ugh2:

9. vipergts24

vipergts24 New Member

You have the dumbest fucking worth ethic ever. No really, you do. That is why i'm going to disect your stupid post and make you look like a fool.

Do you know what a rate is? Do you know that each month he will have to pay a larger amount because of it? Do you get that your fuck up is costing him more money? Do you get it. Does that come into your fucking brain ? If you answered no to any the above, reread the above section before continuing.

There is a reason that a low life like you didn't go to college. You can't take responsibilities for your own actions. Go ahead, say it one more time for shits and giggles. Its your employers fault correct? Your employer shouldn't have hired you in the first place because then he wouldn't have had two accidents on his hands. It is his fault you were negligent on the job and damaged customer's cars. He should be the one to pay for it because he was successful enough to own a business while you try to leech off other people including the tax payers and fail at that.

I hope he sues you for the money you owe his business and you become homeless. I really hope you never get a dime of our tax money for being a selfish prick.

10. t-t-t-today

t-t-t-today New Member

Go fuck yourself. Accidents happen, that's why we have insurance. So if you get in a car accident, how about your fucking insurance company tells you to man up and take responsibility for your actions and they want you to pay for all the damage out of your own pocket? Let me guess, you would object.

Idiot.

11. uh_no

uh_no Guest

You really need to man up and eat the loss. You are entitled to nothing.

12. t-t-t-today

t-t-t-today New Member

Quit telling me to man up. When my business failed, i didn't fucking cry about it and try to make someone else give me money. I went out looking for another job. Luckily for me, the market is shitty and everyone told me to come back in a few months. So I file for fucking unemployment insurance. I've been paying taxes for YEARS. When I fall on hard times i am entitled to get some sort of "life support" money from the government that I have been giving money to all along....everyone is.

What the fuck? Banks and Auto companies fuck up and they receive billions of dollars. When i fall on hard time I don't deserve shit? That doesn't make sense.

I guess my question has been answered. I've got enough money at this point to keep me alive or about another month or so until i get another job....so I'm NOT going to fight this denied claim. It was kind of a question of if i should expose him for breaking the law. I've decided that he isn't a bad person and helped me out when i needed it so i'm not going to screw him.

I've got proof of his illegal deductions so winning the appeal isn't even an issue.

13. weezyfbaby

weezyfbaby New Member

Yeah you did... you then filed for unemployment to have all of us pay for your two fuckups...?

14. 7960

7960 New Member

werd:

yeah you did.

15. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

You wouldn't be having these hard times if you didn't quit your job shit 50% of people probably dont' like their boss but you don't see them quitting then complaining why the government won't give them unemployment. Work sucks sometimes and that might involve working a job you hate just so you have a job.

16. nofriends

nofriends OT Supporter

Who is paying for the company's insurance against accidents like yours? Not you.

Unless you are paying the bill for the insurance yourself, why should the company have to suffer the financial repercussions from your mistake?

17. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

The company has insurance for when accidents happen. The mature thing to do would have been to consult a lawyer. There are a few out their that will give free consultation to see if your case is worth anything.

2nd, you quit your job, you should NOT receive unemployment.

18. t-t-t-today

t-t-t-today New Member

Hey jackasses, I filed for unemployment after I applied to 10 different places for work. Why the fuck are you trying to make it sound like I went straight after the FREE MONEY? You're trying to make me look like a lazy fuck here....assholes.

Yes, I am paying the fucking bills. I bring in a lot of money that goes straight to his pocket and then he uses it to pay the bills.

For the last fucking time, NOBODY would continue to work for an employer who was taking money out of their paycheck. He even said he would continue doing it. I am not going to work my ass off and get a lighter paycheck then I deserve for a few weeks. NOT TO MENTION IT IS ILLEGAL FOR HIM TO DO THIS!

You guys would all do exactly what I did. Nobody would work for this guy. If you couldn't find work, you would file for unemployment. Most of you don't have the balls to go into business for yourselves though.

End of fucking thread.

19. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

I would talk to Human Resources, if this is truly a small company where it is just him as the boss/president/ceo, I would get a lawyer or call the department of labor.

Obviously you did not look hard enough for a job. You can always flip burgers, bag groceries, be a waiter, etc... while you look for a better job. Heck the local police departments are always looking for new recruits. I know the NYPD is always hiring new people who qualify.

Once again you shouldn't collect unemployment because you left a job. I'm sure if you can prove that you applied for 10 jobs, and did not get hired, then they might consider your case.

20. vipergts24

vipergts24 New Member

You are a lazy fuck who can't man up to his responsibilities. Taxpayers aren't required to owe you shit, scrub. Quit assuming that you are entitled to unemployment because you fuck up, refuse to pay when YOU wronged, and then quit like a child. I sure hope you don't have a family to support anytime soon because they would be fucked.

You forgot to add the bills you bring in that he has to take care of.

You can call it whatever you want if it makes you feel better but no one agrees with you. You owe him money because of your fuck up and you expect him to pay it because you are a child when it comes to responsibilities.

That is where you are wrong. Not everyone likes their job, but they aren't stupid enough to quit just because they don't like their boss because people HAVE RESPONSIBILITIES. NO THEY WOULD NOT FILE UNEMPLOYMENT, that is for fucking crippled and retarded people, not a low life piece of shit like yourself.

21. vipergts24

vipergts24 New Member

oh btw, i have a BS in computer science and I love how a truck driver filing for unemployment called me an idiot looooooooooooooooooool.

22. registeredPORK

registeredPORK Happy Poo Poo

I agree. You should of talked to an HR if there was one available, and if there wasn't one, you should of talked to the Department of Labor in your state, as well as contacting a labor lawyer for a consultation on the case.

Once you quit a job, you can't claim unemployment *unless* there was a 'good cause' (to be determined by a judge). IF you knew that it was illegal you should of done something about it but seeing as how you have decided to stop pursuing it, whatever.

Otherwise, I would have to disagree with the rest. A lot of fast food chains around here aren't even hiring (they stopped that awhile ago) and well, around here you really don't have grocery baggers so there's no position there. The PD here isn't even hiring really... For the last couple of months where I am, the job market here has been hard.

23. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

No one said you were lazy but by your logic the millions and millions of americans that are looking for work right now should be recieving unemployment too? I guess a fresh college grad that can't find work should get unemployment too. Makes perfect sense :hsugh:

You quit you choose not to work or start your own business there is risk in that, you failed now deal with that risk. If you have proof of illegal doings by your old boss you would've used it by now or you just aren't very smart.

24. weezyfbaby

weezyfbaby New Member

He stated that he has paid out towards unemployment so therefore in his situation he feels he should be able to receive it. That is what sets him apart from a fresh college student.

25. vipergts24

vipergts24 New Member

yet he is unemployed by choice