Problem with dual channel DDR

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by terminator1010, Dec 26, 2003.

1. terminator1010

terminator1010 Eld

I just bought 2 sticks of 512mb pc3200 ddr memory. They are exactly the same type of ram. My mobo is a gigabyte GA-7N400-L in the manual it says it supports dual channel. Ok so it says to put the two modules into slots a and b. there are four DDr slots total numbered DDR1-DDR4. Slot A is DDR1 and DDR2 and slot B is DDR3 and DDR4. Ok so i install the two modules in DDR1 and DDR3 and when i try to boot, it makes a long beep and doesn't boot, this means memory problem. So i took out one module and tried booting with one in DDR1, works fine, take that one out and put the other stick in, works fine. So the memory is ok. So next I try to use non-dual channel by putting both sticks in the A channel (DDR1 and DDR2) it boots and detects over a gig of ram like it should but after the bios screen it freezes, it will not load windows. If someone knows whats going on here i'd sure appreciate some info.

2. terminator1010

terminator1010 Eld

3. Orgazmo

Orgazmo Guest

not too sure there but I have an Athlon 64-FX Gigabyte board with 1GB Corsair XMS PC3200 matched pair, and I use the first two slots and everything is fine. On my other pc (Athlon XP 2800+, 1 GB Mushkin High Perf PC2700) I had to use the first and second of the three slots on the MSI board, I had it in the first two slots at first and it took about 6 trys at installing Win XP, each time with errors, then it ran for about a week and crapped out on me. Then I changed the slots and it's been solid for almost a year so far. My friend just had a problem with his new Asus board and he had to switch his ram to the middle slot for it to work. From my experiences I'd just have to say dual channel is weird.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2003