Problem with Dell Monitor - Screen Goes Blank after Long Use

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fitz, Jan 2, 2008.

1. fitz

fitz .

After an extended period of time usually 12+ hours my monitor will automatically go blank and the green light signaling the monitor is on switches to orange which signals it's turned off.
    The computer itself remains on though. To resolve this problem I turn off the computer and I switch the power supply on the back of the computer to off and then back on and restart the computer then everything works fine.
    However, the problem reoccurs again after another ~12+ hours and I have to keep resetting it.

Thanks if you have any idea why this might happen. :hsd:

2. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

If you move the mouse or press keys on the keyboard, does it return?

Your computer might be entering standby or hibernation modes. Disable those in Power Options in Control Panel (Windows XP)

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

You sure it's the monitor itself?
    Try a different monitor if you can.

Is the PC idle when it goes blank or are you doing something at the time and if so what are you doing?

4. fitz

fitz .

Nope it turns completely off and nothing will bring the picture back.

I probably will end up trying another monitor but I don't understand why it works perfectly for a set amount of time and then just turns itself off? Then when I restart the computer it works fine again.

Sometimes it goes off when I click to start a program. Then sometimes I turn the screen off at night and when I wake up and turn it on again it won't turn on at all, instead the orange light appears which means it's off. :dunno:

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Sounds like something is miscommunicating with the video card drivers and is causing the video to go into standby. Try using DriverCleaner Pro to remove your video card drivers, then install the latest and greatest version.

6. fitz

fitz .

Thanks will give this a shot - don't think I've ever updated them. :o