Problem with DBs

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by φ, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. φ

φ Eugenics is the self-direction of human evolution.

Today I was doing my last set of dumbbell shoulder presses, and I decided to go up five pounds to see how many I could get. I put up seven on the set before, so I expected to get 4-5. But when I kicked the DBs up to my shoulders from my knees, I couldn't push them up.

I always struggle with the first one more than the subsequent reps, and I knew it would be hard to get the weight up, but it is just frustrating knowing that I could lift a heavier weight for reps but ultimately not being able to because I cannot get the weight up in the first place.

Anybody else have this problem and/or know how to remedy it?

ib"getaspotter"butthatisnottheansweriamlookingfor

2. Finest

Finest OG #93

Next shoulder day, do a few warmup sets then jump into the heavier weights that you failed on. You probably just exhausted yourself with your sets prior. Think of it as motivation to hit it harder next time.

3. φ

I tried to start doing that kind of stuff this week, but because I was not used to going from a warm up set to a heavy set, I ended up being able to do more reps with the heavier weight than I thought I could (and more than what I wanted to do really). So next week hopefully I will have a better idea of the weight I should use to get in the 4-6 and 8 rep range.

4. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

im not really sure what type of answer you are looking for other than asking for a lift from someone, it's always going to be harder to push up the weights dead from resting on your shoulders and you're always going to have the same issue when you are dealing with weight that you can only do for low reps.

5. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

can you use your legs to give yourself a little boost on the first rep?

question: do you go as low on the next few reps as it starts off?

6. igo4bmx

igo4bmx WHAT WHAT WHAT THE FU OT Supporter

you just gotta get used to it.
    i had trouble moving up 125s off my shoulder, and used to have my butt at the very front of the seated bench and almost "inclined it" then sat all the way back.
    after a while you'll get stronger and not have any issues.

7. φ

I do them seated so no. And no, I stop when my elbow makes a 90 degree angle or a little lower. If I go any deeper, especially with BB, my shoulders really start rockin (I've dislocated my right shoulder many times, and the left is not in perfect condition, either).

8. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

i've got the same problem... i usually miss on my first one, but after i drop 'em and try again, i can get 'em moving usually

9. ~stangzorized~

~stangzorized~ New Member

OH Pressing the 125's eh? What are your other lifts? Any pics?

10. some1

some1 Some Member OT Supporter

first and foremost: if you have problems with your shoulders (dislocated them, etc) you might want to do heavy db shoulder presses only with a spot

second:

(following is my personal opinion, not what i think is right for every single person on this planet in any situation)

i often see people who are trying to do heavier db shoulder presses than they are capable off. they always struggle to get the weight up... some even have 2 spotters who give them the db's in their extended arms in full lockout position and then proceed to do 30% rom reps

my opinion to this always was: dont handle more weight than you can get in position (and back down) on your own :dunno:

as to the question on how do get the weight in position... alot of people put the db's on their legs and kick them up (some kind of assisted curl)... i've seen a few doing that in standing position, first left, then right and then sitting down, which looks very very dangerous imho.
    i for myself clean them into position which i found to be the best way for me :dunno:
    once you have the db's on your shoulder you should be able to get them up to lockout position on your own. if you cant do that, i'd say leave it :dunno:

i've seen so many things go wrong with heavy db shoulder presses... i'm always in fear when i see people overestimating their capabilities :hs:

11. TZ

TZ Banned

He posted a video of him doing a 430 bench

12. φ

Funny you should mention that. This is the latest (about a month ago) in my quest to destroy my shoulders:

13. ~stangzorized~

~stangzorized~ New Member

:cool:

14. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

I do the same way. Found it is the easiest if you do not have a spotter. If I do have a spotter I have him get me moving on the first rep but never count it.

15. tkluu

tkluu New Member

this is good advice

make sure to get a good kick and get under it one at a time

16. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Spotter, bro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.