Problem with computer not "seeing" keyboard or mouse...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SantorinA4, Jan 23, 2004.

1. SantorinA4

SantorinA4 New Member

I was in the process of trying to reinstall windows 2000 pro on my old pc when that one decided not to boot past starting windows 2000. So, I put it in my new pc, unplugged the other hard drive and went to work at reinstalling. Once that was done, I took out the hard drive and put it in the other pc which is still not booting all the way). I plugged back in the newer hard drive into the new pc and started to boot. I can get all the way to the login screen and then I'm screwed. It's waiting for me to hit enter but it's not seeing the keyboard. I tried using the mouse to click ok but it's not seeing that either. Can you guys help me get this thing working again? Oh, and I tried reinstalling win2000 on the new computer but when it says hit any key to boot to cd...it won't let me.

2. Dark-Hawk

Dark-Hawk New Member

NEVER do that to installations. It's not good to install Windows on one computer and then transfer the HD to another. Also make sure the keyboard/mouse are not setup through USB.

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

You can install it on one computer then transfer it if the computers are exactly identical, but otherwise, yeah, bad idea.

4. SantorinA4

SantorinA4 New Member

They aren't setup through USB. I actually did try that after it wouldn't work the other way and still nothing.

So, does this mean I need a new hard drive? Is there anyway to wipe out the one in the new pc or am I screwed out of the money I spent on it?

5. SantorinA4

SantorinA4 New Member

Well, they weren't exacly a like but both had win2000. The old one was missing a file so I needed to repair it. What do I do know? New hard drive or did I hose the pc?

6. SantorinA4

SantorinA4 New Member

ttt Any suggestions guys? :x:

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I don't mean identical software-wise, I mean hardware-wise. If you installed it on a machine with different hardware than the one you're using it on, then you'll have driver issues. That's probably the problem, motherboard drivers or something.

8. SantorinA4

SantorinA4 New Member

How can I fix that? It won't let me hit a key when it says boot to disk so it just goes right by that. Should I reset CMOS on my board? It has a jumper for that.

9. SantorinA4

SantorinA4 New Member

Well, I reset the CMOS and now everything works great. I've learned my lesson now. :hs: