Problem with an Ibook, help please!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Atheist, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Atheist

Atheist oh, hi OT Supporter

A friend of mine is having a problem with her Ibook and I would like to be able to offer her some advice. I am very fluent with windows being a .net programmer and techie by profession but with Macs I have only the limited experience of playing with my Ibook. No trouble shooting yet! Here's what its doing...

When she turns the computer on it goes to a blue screen with a small box in the middle of it with a question mark in it. I instructed her to put the osx install disk into the computer. She said that when she did this nothing came up except for an apple and a spinning thing, and that while it sounded like it was doing something it never proceeded past that screen.

She had called apple and they told her that they thought it was hardware related and to send it in for a 300$ flat charge which would probably go up once they got it. What can we try before resorting to this? Thanks guys!

2. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Its a blue screen (more gray, right? its not the bright blue windows uses), with a little box and a ? mark, but then it should flash the mac symbol (the face) and then the ? mark....

Means that it cant find the boot drive, or the Hard Drive that has her OS installed...

Does she have the original software? If so, just pop in the OS X install disks it came with, and re-install it.

Mine did that for a while (because i like half installled a new OS, so it lost my boot disk) but what happens is after about 30 seconds, it'll search for the boot disk (in other locations than the place that it was, or where it should be) then it would find it and boot...

If hers never boots, then she or u or someone deleted her Boot software, and her OSX.

If she doesnt have the boot disks, shes got three options. She could use urs (i think) or u can go to somewhere like piratebay.org or torrentspy.com and find the torrent for her OS, and download it. (this isnt legal, but its kinda alright because she already had it, and its hard to track anyways).

Or she can go and buy Tiger from an apple store, or buy one on ebay or something.

3. fishyhell

fishyhell muscle68>catholic school children

make sure when she boot she holds down C.

4. Atheist

I am appreciate your response. The thing of it is though when she puts the disk in it does not proceed, it simply acts as though it is working but does not actually go to any new screen beyond the apple witht he spinning bit

5. Atheist

Also, I am curious about retaining her data. Will there be an option to keep the data already there?

Finally, is there any way to access like a Bios type page wherein I can see if it is detecting the harddrive?

6. fishyhell

if your any good with Unix shell i suppose there is a way to do it through the native shell.

when booting hold down cmnd-option-o-f

7. Atheist

Really that is the only way? There is no BIOS type setup or way to view disk drives?

8. fishyhell

not that i know of. i'll do some apple sup[port searching...

9. Atheist

Ok guys here's an update...

I put in the install disk and after a long while it finally loaded. I went into the disk manager and verified and then repaired the disk and permissions. Upon rebooting it now, it will go to the mormal booting white screen with the apple and the rotating bit below it but will not proceed past this step. Whats the story? What else can I try?

10. Atheist

I tried starting in verbose mode and everything goes fine until it gets to 'Starting SecurityServer', then it just hangs

11. LiekOMG

LiekOMG New Member

Jenna Jameson's School of the "Performing Arts"
    Just reinstall the OS. You can use a "archive and install" to reinstall the OS while keeping her home folder contents intact.

12. Atheist

I will try this.

13. Atheist

ok so i installed it w/ the archive option and checked to save user accounts, the install took FOREVER so I am essentially positive that the hdd is dieing. Anyhow, once complete I went to reboot the system and it goes to the white apple screen but will not proceed past that, not even to the spinning bit. It will boot from CD, but will not enter verbose mode or single user mode.

14. Atheist

Here's what I have done so far...

It was going to a greay screen with a flashing folder so I booted into the osx setup and did a repair on the hard drive and I did a repair ont he permissions and at that point it started to boot to a point where it had the whtie screwn with the apple but it was just spiining not doing anything more but i could boot into ingle user mode, verbose mode etc. So then I went back to the osx setup and did a archive setup and selected to save user account info, and that went thru but took forever (i think the hard drive is dieing but i just want it to boot once for now) so anyhow, that completed then it went to boot again and it goes to the white scrren with the apple like normal but the spinning thing NEVER comes up, it just sits at the white screen and i can boot from cd but i cannot get it to boot from the drive, or go into verbose mode, or single user mode

15. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

have u even thought about calling apple yet?

1800-275-2273

16. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

before proceeding, try to attach her machine to yours (or another mac) and boot it into firewire target mode. Then, on the machine it is attached to, try to pull off any and all files you can save. This way, if it is a hd dying, you can save most of her info. if you don't know how to do this, connect the two machines via firewire, power down the bad ibook, hold down T then book the ibook. when the firewire symbol comes up, release T