Problem using Meguiars show car glaze

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by WickedLou9, May 9, 2005.

1. WickedLou9

WickedLou9 Deep cover terrorist gerbil

Ok so I did a detailing on my car this weekend. wash, claybar, glaze and P21S wax.
    Because of the glaze , it literally took me a good 4 hours. NO interior work at all. Just the paint.

The glaze literally stuck to the paint in some splotchy areas. Most of it would wipe clean but some areas it was like glue. I had to press really hard and rub back and forth back and forth over and over again. The shit would simply not come off my paint. Eventualy I took out the Vanilla Moose quik shine stuff and that seemed to help get it off. BUt what a fucking royal pain in the ass.

why did that happen? It was like there was sap on my car. :mad: Thats how hard it was to get off.

did I do something wrong?

2. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Im assuming your talking about the hand glaze? The shit that looks like baby poop?

That stuff is REALLY tricky.

You have to lay it on really thin, and let it soak into the pain for a fewminutes to get the oils to set. Then once you go back, it should just powder right off.

If it doesnt, and you get one of those hard to get off spots. Grab your buffinf pad, put a little drop of it ontot he pad, and hit the hard to get area. The oils in the pad will emulsify the caked on polish, and then you can just wipe it away with your polishing cloth. Simple as that.

I typically dont use it that often, unless im working on a really bad single stage paint job that needs a rejouvenating kick in the paint to keep it looking wet. But the stuff evaperates quick, and really only lasts in its shineyest state for about a week. Then fades.

Ive found it to bee kind of trivial on clearcoated car. Unless its black, and then it gives it a really smooth, clean, wet look.

3. WickedLou9

yeah the hand glaze. It does work really well. My car came out great. ( it's a dark blue)
    I don't have a pic of it now, but I took one last year when I used the vanilla moose and P21S. I wasn't THAT impressed with the results. It looked nice and clean, but not as nice as it looks now.

From last year: For an idea of the color.
    [​IMG]

4. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

I have that stuff. Used it before I got the vanilla moose.

Always had a bitch of a time getting it off, and usually used some s100 secp to get it off.

5. gandhibrokemyskates

gandhibrokemyskates slangin beer

Someone else in Houston had the same problem with that stuff.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Clearkote's RMG (Red Machine Glaze) will give you the same rich wet look but wipes off with ease.

Do a search on http://meguiarsonline.com and find Mike Phillip's write-up on #7.

7. WickedLou9

I'll definately have to look into the RMG then. For me, it simply wasnt worth the time for the Meguiars. The results were great, but 4 hours? forget it.

8. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

Here is what 2hotford's paraphrase of Mike's post looks like. (sorry, couldn't find mike's original post).

9. WickedLou9

Reading that, I think part of the problem was that I used too much. I also guess that you have to give it several passes letting it re-dry each time.

The next thing I need to master is the rubbing compound stuff. I have alot of swirl marks, but using an abrasive on my paint makes me nervous. Expecialy when I don't know what I am doing. :hs:

10. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Well, if you can sprinf around $160 for a Porter Cable and the needed polishing pads, backing plates, etc. it really takes the sting, and the fear out of polishing.

But there are plenty of threads dealing witht he specifics on the PC.