problem - "Looking for http://forums.offtopic.com/...."

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MaDsK1LLz, Jan 26, 2006.

1. MaDsK1LLz

MaDsK1LLz New Member

I bought a brand new laptop 2 days ago. The laptop loads pages perfectly fine at home. I bring it to work and when i connect it both wirelessly and wired, it says "Looking up www.google.com..." for about 20 seconds. Once it connects to the site, it loads intantly. But once i click on another link, i have to wait another 20 seconds for it to connect b4 it loads. It only does this here and only with IE and firefox. Games, AIM, and MSN messenger connect instantly.

tried..resetting web settings, clearing cache, resetting router, disabling firewall & norton, disabling all startup programs.... still does it.

someone please help me out :wtc:

2. Chase

Chase Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck yo

Do you have "automatically detect settings" turned off?

How are you getting your IP at home/work? DHCP? Static?

3. MaDsK1LLz

MaDsK1LLz New Member

under LAN settings, Automatically detect settings is off.

not really sure what DHCP and Static IP's are. i just setup the bellsouth.net business dsl as shown.

4. MaDsK1LLz

MaDsK1LLz New Member

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

DHCP is a method that servers use to give each computer connected to them a unique IP address that gets traded in for a new one every x amount of time. It's easier than trying to get everybody who buys internet access from you (you being BellSouth or some company like that) to set up all their computers so none of them try to use the same addresses.

However, if you connect through a router (which you almost certainly do if you share your DSL with all the computers in your house), then the router gives your computers those same kind of automatically-generated IP addresses, and saves one for itself so it can communicate with BellSouth's internet server.

You could give each computer in your house a manually-assigned IP address by typing them in. This should speed things up, since your browser won't have to figure out what its address is before downloading the website you wanted to see. IP addresses work like this:

IP Address: 192.168.0.(number >1 and <100) <==The first three numbers aren't optional unless you own a huge corporate network.
    Gateway: 192.168.0.1 <==This is the IP address that your router saves for itself, if you recall me mentioning that.
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 <==This tells your computer that the first three numbers aren't optional, while the fourth number is.

That should do it. You might also be able to find out the IP addresses of BellSouth's "DNS Servers" and type those in. You don't have to, but every piece of information that the computer doesn't have to figure out speeds your connection up a bit. IP addresses are like phone numbers; if you don't have to look it up in the phone book, you can make the call sooner.

6. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

Using static IPs isn't going to speed anything up at all. Also, he said he was experiencing the problem at work - where he probably isn't the network engineer.

It sounds to me like they're using some sort of proxy/caching engine that's causing the problem.

7. MaDsK1LLz

MaDsK1LLz New Member

yea...i just got home and its working perfectly fine. must be something with charter internet/linksys router instead of the bellsouth/netopia i have at work. you think changing the router at work might help things? its really pissing me off.